Thread: Online Mandolin Lesson suggestions

Default Online Mandolin Lesson suggestions

I am looking for online lessons. We don't have a teacher around. Any suggestions.. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Online Mandolin Lesson suggestions

For free canned video lessons, Baron Collins-Hill is hard to beat at mandolessons.com

For inexpensive canned video lessons, check Brad Laird and Banjo Ben Clark

Those are the ones I have used and liked. For interactive lessons, I have no experience but I know there are some good ones out there.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I am doing one-on-one Skype lessons with Kaden Hurst. There are many others teaching via Skype, Zoom or whatever. Until the latest insanity Kaden and I were doing in person lessons so we just moved to Skype.

I have been doing the intermediate bluegrass class by sharon gilchrist on peghead nation. She also has an intro course. Not quite the same as a "live" tutor, but very good instruction and reasonable cost.

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

5. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    I am looking for online lessons. We don't have a teacher around. Any suggestions.. Thanks
    Are you looking for one on one instruction via Zoom/Skype or a online video course

I find I’m more accountable to a live instructor for practicing than to a recorded video series.

Peghead Nation is outstanding. Sharon Gilchrist's is a great instructor. John Reischman is also good but assumes you know more. Both teach you the "why" behind the action. Banjo Ben has some good stuff but IMHO is more focused on just showing you how to play his stuff. It is very good stuff. Both are worth the price in my experience. Mandolessons.com is free (although repeat consumers should donate) and is phenomenal. Baron is a very good teacher.
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

You didn’t say where you are or what style/genre you are interested in learning. I’d suggest pick someone you like and contact them. If you’re having trouble deciding who to start with check out David Benedict’s Mandolin Mondays...hundreds of players to choose from. The beauty of the whole thing is if you don’t jive move onto someone else...most charge anywhere between $50-75 for an hour lesson so not a huge layout of funds.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I am using Artistworks - you can do as many lessons in a day as you want, and progress at your own rate. There is classical mandolin, and bluegrass mandolin (your preference) available. Also guitar, and other instruments available. You pay for a time (I purchased a year, but there are shorter times available.) They offer specials at times, I got in when they were offering a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by zdub View Post
    Pete Martin at pete@petimarpress.com

Are you enjoying it and feel like you are progressing?

As folks mention, lots of great online options. I'd really suggest at least a few skype/zoom one-on-one lessons. I tried artist works, peg head, etc. and made some progress, but after just 1 lesson with an instructor I learned so many things that I was doing wrong, and that made a major improvement in my playing. nfi, but I took lessons from Emory Lester for 4+ years. Excellent teacher, entertaining, and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by mandokismet View Post
    I find I’m more accountable to a live instructor for practicing than to a recorded video series.
    My local roots music school has online group classes and one-on-one instruction available and a lot of outstanding teachers.

You also might try just e-mailing or facebooking (or other way of connecting with) touring, working musicians who you like. I ended up taking a few lessons from a guy that way early in the pandemic. He does not usually teach, but with no gigs he was open to it. I got some custom lessons, he got some money, it was a win/win.

https://frontporchcville.org/