Thread: Minimal contact arm rest

Default Minimal contact arm rest

I know that there a couple of people here making their own arm rests so I thought I would share my design. Most others seem to make full contact along the entire length of the arm rest, mine has only minimal contact over the rib and kerfing. The cuts were made on the drill press using a "safty planer".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5376.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	473.5 KB 
ID:	188171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5373.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	188172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5375.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	188173  

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Minimal contact arm rest

the 2 I have just have a thin actual contact of cork, on the very edge which is over the kerfed lining the top & rim are glued onto...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

4. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Joseph Cleary's armrest for my Campanella A-5 has minimal contact. It was the first mandolin I owned that had an armrest and I like his design. Obviously both of you are violin builders so carved chinrests are the inspiration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campanella-armrest-side.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	188174
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Joseph Cleary's armrest for my Campanella A-5 has minimal contact. It was the first mandolin I owned that had an armrest and I like his design. Obviously both of you are violin builders so carved chinrests are the inspiration.

Nice piece of work,that.
    Charley

Beautiful mandolin!
    I too think the armrest is perfect for the mandolin. Is there any contact information for Joseph Cleary?
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

There are fundamental differences between a violin chinrest and a mandolin armrest. In particular, the violin chinrest has a fairly complex (sculpted) curved surface, designed to raise the chin above the instrument. It is that shape that dictates contact with both the chin, on one side, and the instrument, on the other. The mandolin armrest is not similarly constrained, and there would seem to be no compelling reason, other than someone's aesthetic notions, why a mandolin armrest should look like a violin chinrest.

The mandolin armrest is designed to make contact at the very edges of the rim on both the top and back. These locations form acoustic nodes, and they don't oscillate up and down in the normal modes of vibration. (The same is true of the violin.) Adding an armrest to a mandolin should not change its sound, in principle. And writing for myself, I have confirmed this in practice, as well. I listened carefully to three F5-style mandolins that I own, both with and without their McClung-style armrests (from Doug Edwards), and have been unable to discern any differences in tone, either way. In a similar fashion, mandolin accessories like the ToneRite, Carpenter jack, and pickguard are also designed to attach to nodal points that vibrate little, and don't contribute to tone.

Based on the foregoing, reducing the contact area of a mandolin armrest against the rim to the absolute minimum seems unlikely to do much, if anything at all, to affect the the tone. Furthermore, thinning down a section of armrest wood so that it's rigidly suspended over the rim sets up the possibility that it might be susceptible to some independent vibration of its own (or buzzing), which would be quite undesirable. Of course, whether or not that happens depends on the dimensions and stiffness of the suspended portions of your armrest design. Violin chinrests are carefully designed to avoid such buzzing, for example.

From my perspective, this design seems to "solve" a problem that most of us don't actually experience with our armrests, and it opens up the possibility of introducing some additional problems.
    Last edited by sblock; Aug-28-2020 at 2:59pm.

10. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I would guess that most if not all makers of mandolin arm rests try to keep contact to a minimum and limited to the very edge. I can see the resemblance of the Cleary arm rest on Jims mandolin to a violin chin rest but I came at it with a mandolin arm rest in mind only.
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    Beautiful mandolin!
    I too think the armrest is perfect for the mandolin. Is there any contact information for Joseph Cleary?
    Joe’s website: campanellastrings.com
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Furthermore, thinning down a section of armrest wood so that it's rigidly suspended over the rim sets up the possibility that it might be susceptible to some independent vibration of its own (or buzzing), which would be quite undesirable. Of course, whether or not that happens depends on the dimensions and stiffness of the suspended portions of your armrest design. Violin chinrests are carefully designed to avoid such buzzing, for example.

I tuned mine to a "G".
    Charley

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I know that there a couple of people here making their own arm rests so I thought I would share my design. Most others seem to make full contact along the entire length of the arm rest, mine has only minimal contact over the rib and kerfing. The cuts were made on the drill press using a "safty planer".
    Nice. Where did you get the hardware?

You can get the viola hardware here.....

https://www.internationalviolin.com/...hinrest-screws

Make sure that the barrels are 30mm long.
    Charley

16. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

Love the violin edges on that mandolin Jim!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]