Thread: Finally: a signature quote

Default Finally: a signature quote

I have been waiting and waiting for the right quote. While attempting to deal with the zillions of books in my late, beloved aunt’s house, I found the Oxford Companion To Music, by Percy Scholes. This is a reference tome of 1,195 pages. Plenty of pictures but none of mandos.

OK Percy’s not one of us. His entry for ukes is similar “...became very popular in the United States amongst people whose desire to perform was stronger than their willingness to acquire any difficult technique or their desire to make intimate acquaintance with any very elaborate music.”

Fiddles get barely two lines! “A colloquial tune for any kind of bowed string instrument, especially the violin.”

Bagpipes get five pages of text and two of illustrations. Even banjos get more attention than our 8-string friends, several paragraphs, inevitably noting “the dryness of its tone and the small variety of chords available limit its services pretty narrowly to amusement music.” (Please notify Mssrs Trischa, Fleck etc).

This copy is the 8th edition, published in 1955 with a new forward by Mr S. He does go on about Ballads, Folk Song, Community Singing etc but generally cares not for the creations of the 20th century, except for jazz. Wonder what he would make of the 21st.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Cameron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Finally: a signature quote

Also, I finally got a Collings, so this summer wasn’t all bad.

Well, back to ye olde amusement music.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Blog Entries

Sounds pretty much like the mainstream western music world, even today. That ability to ignore anything that doesn't apply directly to either orchestral or jazz music is still pretty amazing.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

There is a thread on Mandolin "slurs" going in the theory section. This definition might be a good example.

Slurs are better than being ignored. I’ve long been miffed about the lack of mandolin jokes. It’s as if they’re not artistically valuable.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post: