Thread: F-Style vs A-style ergonomics...

Default F-Style vs A-style ergonomics...

I recently got an F-style mando again after several years with just A-styles.
    My initial impression was yeah, it plays essentially the same, just plug in and go.

But after a couple socially-distanced 3-4 hr gigs each of the last 2 weekends I feel there is something different to the way the strap hangs off the instrument and the way it sits across me... I wouldn’t have noticed it seated, or for shorter periods of time. But after a long gig those small details really seem to matter.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Default Re: F-Style vs A-style ergonomics...

Are you saying the F-style is more, or less comfortable?
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

I play A's, I have had an F, but sold it. I didn't notice any difference standing with either at a gig. Then I tie to the headstock, even with the F. I like the way the strap weight, even tho it isn't much, comes across your back as opposed to down from the shoulder. Way more noticeable with a guitar, but still I notice with the mandolin. I don't tie right behind the nut as it gets in the way, but behind the first tuner.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The F-style body point is a plus for me. I nearly always play sitting down, and it aids stability.

5. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Are you saying the F-style is more, or less comfortable?
    Neither really, just slightly different. Acclimation was required!

Like millimeters difference here and there in hanging position, and a touch heavier...

Nothing extreme, just more then I expected

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I started out playing mandolin with a preference for f styles as many newbies do (and many seasoned pros). It didn’t take long for me to discover I could get a much better A style for the same money and that I found them more comfortable. Afterward I found I also liked the look of an A style more appealing and also having less pieces subject to damage.
    But looks and tastes are individual so try out some A styles and see what is right for you.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

My '22 A4 got a tone-gard , sitting, holding it seems to work well, better than without .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Neither really, just slightly different. Acclimation was required!

Like millimeters difference here and there in hanging position, and a touch heavier...

Nothing extreme, just more then I expected
    Acclimation ? what does that mean ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Acclimation ? what does that mean ?
    According to google:
    What is the difference between acclimation and acclimatization?

Acclimation is the coordinated phenotypic response developed by the animal to a specific stressor in the environment while acclimatization refers to the coordinated response to several individual stressors simultaneously (e.g., temperature, humidity, and photoperiod).

I just meant that it took me a little time to adjust to the different feel. I was dialed in to it by the end of each night but it wasn’t initially as comfortable as my played in MT2 that has seen hundreds of gigs. I know how my MT2 feels and reacts but the F style is a slightly different animal....

Still been thinking of this... noticed at band practice today that the F style seems to favor hanging in a horizontal position, whereas my A styles seem to naturally favor a little more neck up position?

I thought it was strap position or something but no matter my adjustments the F seems to want to float about horizontal...

Can't say I have a whole lot of experience in this, but I did have a couple of ideas.

I played mostly A-model mandolins for years and then bought an old F4, thinking it was the "pinnacle" of the style. Nothing wrong, but as I got to playing it, I really didn't care for all the "business" of the body scroll, points, broken and repaired headstock scroll etc. I guess i like simpler and more straightforward.

The other thought goes to the strap. Not a common method, but I like to place the top end of my strap around the headstock. It does get in the way of the tuners a bit, but it also provides an excellent platform so that I always have the same neck position, and I can actually kinda rest my hand on the neck when I'm not actively playing and free up my hand to move up and down the fretboard without having to support the neck. So the scroll as a "strap hangar" argument isn't relevant to me.
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

Blog Entries

I play sitting down, and typically without a strap. I haven't noticed much of a difference if any between A and F. The treble side body point seems to hold the instrument on my lap in the position I want a little more sturdily.

For other reasons entirely, my go to is a two pointer, which does the same thing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Beautiful but heavy headstock design was what sold way back then and now. In my eyes there is a fine line between just right and too much when it comes to instrument decorative design and bling.
    I’ll never forget when I was first infected with F4 Awe opening that old scrappy case and breathing in the virus like pride and accomplishment of 1923. I had never been quite so impressed with
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

an instruments response and balance compared to modern builds.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN