Thread: Newbie with mandolin kit question

Default Newbie with mandolin kit question

Howdy everyone, Been a guitar player for 35 years. Really wanting to give the mandolin a try, mainly country and bluegrass style. So here is my question...

I have built a couple of acoustics, I'm a custom gunstock maker and do checkering, inlays and carvings on them. So I am thinking of picking up a build it yourself mandolin kit and build my first mandolin.

Dont want to drop big bucks on the stew mac kit, but dont want a plywood kit either. So with the all the great wisdom here, I thought it best to reach out and pick your brains.

Looking forward to your replies
    Bill

Default Re: Newbie with mandolin kit question

The number of kits has dropped of a bit recently. I believe that Stewmac is only selling their F style kit now. If you want to get into a solid wood partially completed kit try the Saga AM-10 A style kit. Quite a few people sell it. That kit was also known as the International Violin or IV kit here on the cafe as they sold it. There are threads here where folks have documented those builds. The Roger Siminoff books about building Bluegrass mandolins are available and very helpful with construction. The earlier versions had some dimensional mistakes that shouldn't affect a kit build. Stewmac's DVD by Don McRostie, the builder of Red Diamond mandolins is excellent. Unfortunately Chris Baird, the builder of Arches mandolins is no longer building mandolins or kits but you might be able to grab a kit used somewhere that wasn't started. There are sellers that pop up in the classifieds now and again selling tops, backs, rims, neck blanks, etc. The Grizzly kit is (and I'm assuming still is) made of laminated wood. International Violin is selling their F5 kit again I see. It's here. It appears they are still selling the A style kit as well.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Aug-26-2020 at 10:07am. Reason: Fixed typo
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Hey Mike, Thank you very much for sharing that great information. I will look into the kits you suggested and also watch the classifieds.
    Have a great day
    Bill

The Grizzly kit has disappeared from their page. Best of luck with your quest.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Sounds like you have a good skill set, putting in all that labor you might want better quality parts. I've seen these parts advertised on the cafe- https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/159053#159053 -they look like good very quality and are reasonably priced. Maybe you can even get rough carved tops and backs from him. That's the way I would go, there would still be a lot of work but you could potentially end up having a really good mandolin.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The Grizzly kit has disappeared from their page. Best of luck with your quest.
    Thanks Mike !!

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Sounds like you have a good skill set, putting in all that labor you might want better quality parts. I've seen these parts advertised on the cafe- https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/159053#159053 -they look like good very quality and are reasonably priced. Maybe you can even get rough carved tops and backs from him. That's the way I would go, there would still be a lot of work but you could potentially end up having a really good mandolin.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob, that looks like an option also. Will have to look into this and ask about tops and backs.

Get the kit from International Violin. Its a good kit. Will definitely take some re-work to make it a great instrument, but what you get is definitely capable of being made into a great instrument. I put a lot of effort into mine and now play it constantly. I get a lot of positive compliments on it as well regarding its tone and its finish.

Apologies for the sideways pic. Its upright on my computer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190928_161158.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	188120  
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Smith Creek had been providing cnc'd tops and backs but has now shifted to just carving wood that you supply.
    http://www.smithcreekmandolin.com/sm...ngservice.html

They are nice to work with, I sent a template for an A project that was wider than modern A shapes and it turned out great.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by Chinn View Post
    Get the kit from International Violin. Its a good kit. Will definitely take some re-work to make it a great instrument, but what you get is definitely capable of being made into a great instrument. I put a lot of effort into mine and now play it constantly. I get a lot of positive compliments on it as well regarding its tone and its finish.

Apologies for the sideways pic. Its upright on my computer.
    Thanks for the info on the IV kits. I will take a look at them.
    Great job on yours !!!! Looks amazing.

12. The following members say thank you to Wizard1962 for this post:

Chinn 

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Smith Creek had been providing cnc'd tops and backs but has now shifted to just carving wood that you supply.
    http://www.smithcreekmandolin.com/sm...ngservice.html

They are nice to work with, I sent a template for an A project that was wider than modern A shapes and it turned out great.
    Thanks. I will have to look thru my woodshed and see if I have anything that might work.

14. The following members say thank you to Wizard1962 for this post: