Thread: Octave Mandolin question: Teardrop versus mando-guitar?

Default Octave Mandolin question: Teardrop versus mando-guitar?

I really don't have an option to try one of the mando-guitars so I have no comparison. I was wondering what the comparison in tone between the two would be (in general)? I realize that any individual instrument will sound different. So, just generalities in tone? I mostly play Celtic folk music and Americana but not bluegrass. I already play guitar and some standard mandolin. I also play tenor banjo.

Could someone give me some general thoughts on the difference in tone between a teardrop shaped octave mandolin with a round or oval hole (like the Gold Tone 800, Trinity College, etc.) and a guitar shaped octave mandolin (like the Pono offerings)?

Thanks!
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Default Re: Octave Mandolin question: Teardrop versus mando-guitar?

I am currently having an OM two pointer built. I explored your question as I made decisions on the final shape, woods, etc. of the new OM. I have made two generalizations for myself: 1) to me the guitar style OM's are, very generally, less bright but 2) characterizing the sound of each shape is almost impossible because the sound is highly dependent on the technique of the musician, the style of music, and the individual instrument. This is only my perception, for what it is worth, and I will be quite curious to hear how others respond. It is an interesting question.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

But there are many many different OM configurations. Not just guitar or teardrop. There are oval hole, D hole, F hole, F body, A body, scale length, carved top, flat top, scale length, materials. Generalizations are difficult. To me every instrument needs to be evaluated on its own.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Calley For This Useful Post:

Certainly there are. In this instance, I'm mostly talking about flat top oval or round hole versions similar to the GT or TC as mentioned.

As has been commented on, the tone of a particular instrument has a number of factors that may well be more important than the shape. I prefer the GOM to the traditional shape because guitar shape, to me, is way more comfortable when sitting down and that is how I mostly play at home. I am sure that Andrew Mowry can make an outstanding sounding tear dCrop shape OM, that would compare equally to my GOM. I just like how the guitar shape sits on my leg when sitting.
    Last edited by red7flag; Aug-20-2020 at 9:28pm. Reason: Slight change of wording.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

7. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

To me, if you want something that looks like a guitar, get a guitar, I can't see why some people want everything guitar shaped.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

As mentioned above, it might be worth exploring F-body octaves and the arched top and back "cello-influenced" ones as well. Including these additional shapes could significantly expand the conversation beyond the original "A vs guitar-body" scope. I know the OP is primarily interested in those two but in case there's any chance of some of these other possibilities it can be a great corner of the world of musical instruments to explore.

I mention this because speaking for myself, I generally prefer the larger-bodied archtop OMs (in the F- and arch-bodies) over the A- or flat-top guitar shapes. Of course many of those are great too so this isn't a blanket statement, just a suggestion it might be worth considering the F- and arch-bodies too.

Best luck on your journey!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

I play a guitar shaped Ashbury Lindisfarne and find the tone to be quite round with good sustain. It will not cut through guitars etc like a long necked Bouzouki, tending to get buried in the mix without being plugged in. I have a 10 string normal shaped Hullah but it has a pin bridge. It cuts through better than the Ashbury for single notes and is more focused I feel. Overall, I prefer the guitar shaped for plugging in but, acoustically, the Hullah tone is better. However, is it an equal competition?

Here is a link to a thread I wrote with my positive experience in a jam with a GOM,
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...holds-it-s-own
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I'm a guitar convert and I've always considered "vibe" in the appearance of the instrument. How many variations can there be on the 2-humbucker LP and the 3-PU strat for tone? (Don't answer)

I'm also thinking about an OM and thinking I want one that looks like a mandolin, not a guitar. I want it to stand out visually as a big mandolin, not an 8-string guitar. I also would want the tone to be more mandolin-like than guitar-like, but i supposed the doubled strings take care of the majority of that.

"Traditional" mandolin-shaped OM's are often flat-top, round (oval)-hole; guitar-shaped ones are carved-top, f-hole. Not uniformly, but I'd say that of the ones I've seen, that's been the general constructions.

IMHO the major tonal difference has to do with flat- vs. carved-top, "round"- vs. f-hole. The most direct comparison in my experience is mandocello, not octave mandolin: it's my Gibson K-1 'cello vs. my Eastman 805, which is basically an eight-string jazz guitar. The K-1 sounds like a huge Gibson "A" mandolin, the Eastman like, well, an eight-string jazz guitar. But I attribute this more to top construction than to body shape.

Scale length is another major consideration. Quite a few of the Asian-made mandolin-shaped OM's have shorter scales.

My major octave mandolin is an old Flatiron 3-K long-scale, labeled "bouzouki" though I don't really consider it a 'zouk, and it sounds like a great big Flatiron "pancake." Fine for my needs, though the long scale makes playing melodies less agile, and the longer "sustain" can muddy up more intricate playing (not that I do much of that).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I took delivery of a Clark GBOM several weeks ago. It has a deep, robust tone that would be hard to match with a teardrop OM. I owned an Eastman MDO305. Though both the Clark and the Eastman are OMs they are quite different. The Clark has a large body, the Eastman is much smaller. The Clark is easy to play, the Eastman strings were a bit squishy. The Eastman is very light, the Clark, not so much. The Eastman is imminently affordable and available. The Clark is a custom order and a long wait. Clark’s almost never come up on the used market. No recommendations, it seems to be mostly a matter of personal taste.

Due to the current insanity I have not been able to jam with the Clark. Sad. ☹️

To be a bit more exact, I already own a teardrop shaped OM. It's the Gold Tone 800+ and I like it a lot. It's very resonant and plays well after a setup. However, I have an option for a custom made mando-guitar that is based somewhat loosely on the flattop Pono design. The guy who makes them is primarily a banjo maker and his other stuff are kind of a side thing. The one I am considering would have a cedar top. The price is good for an American made custom job, but again this is not a guy who makes these specific instruments often. In fact, if anyone has any opinions of this particular style, I would appreciate it. Not sure if I can link to websites, but if you look up Zachary Hoyt Banjos on Google you'll find the page. He then has a link to his mandolins.
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

[QUOTE=Tmcmakin;1784491]To be a bit more exact, I already own a teardrop shaped OM. It's the Gold Tone 800+ and I like it a lot. It's very resonant and plays well after a setup. However, I have an option for a custom made mando-guitar that is based somewhat loosely on the flattop Pono design. ....

I have a Trinity College tear drop OM, and a flat top Pono. There is a tremendous difference. The TC is not nearly as loud, and the Pono has great volume and great tone. In short I love the Pono. It does sound a lot guitar-like, which I love. It works great to sing with. It is not unusual for people I play with to do a double take and realize I’m not playing a guitar.

So I would say go for the GBOM.

PAT HULL

I would think price will a bearing on your choice. I built a celtic style OM some years ago. While it sounds nice, balancing it in the playing position requires a little more effort. It seems Americana players who have the resources (Tim O'brien, Sierra Hull, etc) tend to favor the guitar body OM's. I haven't played one, but imagine they balance better and hang on a strap nicely. I would think they're also easier on the fingers (Longer strings/tailpiece) and easier to adjust the action seasonally.

Tonewise, archtop/f-hole instruments tend to project more and cut through the mix, even when a flat top instrument sounds just as loud. The Americana music played on a GBOM has a nice tone, but it is not what I would characterize as a celtic sound. The traditional flattop OMs and bouzouki's have a quieter, more delicate tone to my ear. Of course the labor cost puts the price way up there for a GBOM. When the top and back are carved arches and voiced, the time outlay and expertise required are much higher. Probably your best solution is… one of each!

I think you’ll notice a big difference between the GT and a GBOM, but it’s difficult to say which you’ll prefer. I haven’t been able to compare flat top ovals, but have been able to play a Girouard GBOM, Northfield GBOM (arch topped), own a Weber arch topped f hole, and used to own a Weber arch top oval hole. The Northfield and Oval both sounded awesome, but had longer scale lengths that hampered my melody playing, The Girouard was awesome. It had a bit of a small bodied arch top tone, but also sounded like an OM. I also love my current Weber, which has a 20 inch scale. Great tone and volume, and is a rhythm machine.

I’ve found that the short scaled OM responds very well to D’Addairio’s mandola string set rather than the typical OM set, for those of you with shorter scale instruments who feel the G is floppy...

Good luck making your decision!
    Chuck

An important thing to consider in terms of instrument shape, is your audience.
    Do you you want them, at the very beginning of your show, as you walk on stage to be uncomfortable and perhaps confused? I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    An important thing to consider in terms of instrument shape, is your audience. Do you you want them, at the very beginning of your show, as you walk on stage to be uncomfortable and perhaps confused? I don’t think so.
    My audiences generally become more uncomfortable and confused as my performances progress. Of course, that's the reaction I expect and try to achieve.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

23. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks guys! I'm still debating this purchase. Any additional thoughts are welcomed.