Thread: 4 String Electric Mandolin recommended strings?

Default 4 String Electric Mandolin recommended strings?

Hi

just purchased a new Bevoir Electric solid body Mandolin and Looking for best type and strings to use. Currently to has 11, 14, 24 & 36 Nickel strings. What would you advise?

Alcluith

Default Re: 4 String Electric Mandolin recommended strings?

A little bit more information might help. Is there something about the current set you don’t like?
    What style of music are you going to use it for?
    Personally I tend to choose light strings but it might not be the right fit depending what you want from your emando

It's a dance with you and your new instrument. Try a few sets of different gauges, alloys, and windings to see what you both like best. I prefer flat wound strings on the heavier side to prevent unintended bending, but YMMV. Wide selection available from Martin/mrmando at Emando.com. (NFI) Wishing you a pleasant journey.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alcluith View Post
    Hi

just purchased a new Bevoir Electric solid body Mandolin and Looking for best type and strings to use. Currently to has 11, 14, 24 & 36 Nickel strings. What would you advise?

Alcluith
    Chris usually uses a 10 thou E. ...... D`Addario electric guitar strings bought individually. Might be worth double checking with him as he may well have gone a thou thicker. If you stick with these, you shouldn`t have any probs but if for any reason you change brand or gauge, then be prepared for a fresh setup.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

For my jbovier els, I use guitar strings, elixirs.10-42 set (minus the E and A string) Other people say they have intonation issues but I don’t. They last forever and stay in tune.

Make sure the strings are magnetic - acoustic strings don’t work as well.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;