Thread: Very Lucky Guy

Default Very Lucky Guy

My music studio was a little slow this week giving me time to play all my mandolin family instruments. What a collection... As you can see from the list below, I have a wide variety of instruments that more than fit every need and niche my playing calls for. Only the Martin and Collings were production models and they are anything but standard issue. The four instruments that were made for me, the Mowry, Hester, Ellis and Nyberg I had similar experience to having children, with none of the problems Thanks to wonderful luthiers, I have pictures from their very conception. I got to watch then grow till they were finally finished (pun intended). I remember them arriving and that moment if joy listening to those first notes. Each has its own voice and feel when playing. They are different sizes from the octave GOM to the 13 inch scale Martin. They are different shapes, GOM, onion, shallot, cantalevered, and F. They are both f and oval holes. I feel fortunate for each one. What a fortunate man I am. You guys share your menagerie experiences.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Very Lucky Guy

My instrument collection is something I dreamed about as a kid:

2019 Northfield Big Mon
    1996 Sparks F-5
    19-something Gibson A
    1990-something homemade F

1965 Gibson Southern Jumbo

1996 Fender Tex Mex Strat
    Early 2000’s Gibson Les Paul replica
    Mutt partscaster

1999 Warwick Corvette fretless bass
    Meyers built boutique bass

1980 Dobro Model 60

A huge pile of pedals and amps, assorted things I’m forgetting
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

Just yesterday I looked at my music room scattered with instrument cases and thought that 'every one of these instruments is a superb example of it's type'. Usually I have some dread at considering the 'waste of money' or similar notions. This time however I thought of the exceptional workmanship and outstanding qualities of each.

The best I suppose is the old bowl back hanging on the wall, too old and in need of repair. But it was given to me because it is an exceptional example of fine craftsmanship and utility for a musician. The whole fingerboard is mother of pearl, it was the luthiers 'finest example, I'm sure. I look at it every day as one looks at a painting in a museum.

The others could be on display too. A fine guitar, octave mandolin, mandola, two mandolins and two violins. All 'works of art' too. The humbling aspect is that I can play all of them with varying degrees of competence. It is a reminder that I will spend the rest of my life as a student. However the more I learn, the more I appreciate a quality instrument. And there lies some justification in the 'acquisition'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brandt mandolin 1899 vertical.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	188011
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    The best I suppose is the old bowl back hanging on the wall, too old and in need of repair. But it was given to me because it is an exceptional example of fine craftsmanship and utility for a musician. The whole fingerboard is mother of pearl, it was the luthiers 'finest example, I'm sure. I look at it every day as one looks at a painting in a museum.

Name:	Brandt mandolin 1899 vertical.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	188011
    Is that a Brandt mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very cool. I am a huuge fan of Andrew Mowry's mandos and have been thoroughly impressed with every one I've ever had the chance to pluck around on, but have never tried one of his octaves. It's great to see that all these incredible instruments have gone to someone who appreciates them!

In a recent move, I realized just how many instruments I have.
    They came out of every closet and from under every bed.
    This is a partial list.

Mandolins:
    Northfield Artist 5Bar (NFA-5VIE)
    J Bovier F5 Special
    Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Gretsch New Yorker

Guitars:
    Taylor 514c (1995)
    Gibson Southern Jumbo (1949)
    Gibson L-48 (1948)
    Les Paul Custom (1978)
    Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984)
    Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985)
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Fretless bass

Sitars:
    Hiren Roy KP (1980s)
    Naskar (1970s)
    Naskar (1960s)
    Custom Travel sitar by Shahid Ali.

Fiddles:
    1920s Strad copy
    1930s Strad copy
    Liu Xi T20
    Liu Xi T19+ Dark

My Grandfather’s Saxophones:
    Curved Soprano
    C Melody concert Sax

Amps:
    Peavey Classic 50 (4x10)
    Seymour Duncan Convertible (1980s)

Misc:
    8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)
    Mountain Dulcimer made by Me
    A bunch of Chinese instruments I collected in Hong Kong
    (i.e. Erhu, Pipa, Suona, Yuequin, Sheng, Guzheng, and others)
    and a crappy banjo…

The photo is from a recent move, and is just a part of the collection.

Name:	Instruments - 1.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	188037
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

Doug C, I have that very mandolin, a J. Brandt made in Chicago. I got mine with the headstock broken off, but was able to do a solid repair and it is now fully playable. It sounds great too!

I don't know what problems yours has, but it will be worth the effort to get it back in playing shape again! if you want to get rid of it, pm me.

Name:	IMG_9353.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	673.1 KB 
ID:	199069

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	199070

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	385.0 KB 
ID:	199071

RE menageries, for mandolins, my main instrument is a 1919 Gibson A. I also have 3 other early Gibson A's in need of restoration, this J. Brandt Mando fully restored, an early Gibson F-2 3 point in need of headstock repair, a Kalamazoo Oriole needing repair, a Kalamazoo KM-11 mandolin (playable), and perhaps another two dozen vintage bowlbacks and flatbacks mostly turn of the century, all in line for restoration. Now if you want to include guitars, we might be here for a while!