Thread: Sheet Music Generator

Default Sheet Music Generator

Does anyone happen to know if there is a software tool that can listen to what you are playing and generate sheet music for it? That way you can play it again if you want?

Cheers!

Default Re: Sheet Music Generator

Score Cloud might work for you. https://scorecloud.com/

The free version is for mono-phonic only (mostly single note playing or singing) the paid version is poly-phonic which is likely what you want. It's not 100%, but it's decent and you can edit the midi file later if you need to
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

I do like Musescore, though It's not exactly what you are looking for.
    You have to input the notes and choose the duration, key, time signature, and it doesn't auto correct notation mistakes.
    It will play it back for you at variable speeds, and in a wide variety of MIDI instruments
    It will play a metronome along with the music if desired to help with timing if needed and follows the repeat signs, even looping a section if desired.
    The latest version plays chords if you just put chord symbols in.
    To help with memorization I like to type tunes into Musescore (even if I have sheet music) and listen to it being played as I practice along. You can of course export to PDF for hard copies.
    Musescore is open source and free, and not a bad place to start if you are looking to get into working with standard notation.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I just use an audio recorder to grab what I'm playing, if I'm capturing ideas to play later. Music notation I don't really need in that situation. I find notation best to figure out what someone else was playing.

There are a number of programs that try and do this with varying levels of success. The simpler the music the better they do but unless you are using a midi devise they all get things wrong.

I tried scorecloud and found that I had to spend so much time editing that it was quicker just to record what I was playing and transcribe it myself. In contrast to cobalt, I do find it helpful to write down what I've played - it's easier to riffle through a sheaf of MS than scroll through endless soundfiles, and I sometimes use musical ideas months or years after first having them. YMMV.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

7. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Cobalt 

I'm not sure how complicated you're looking to get, but the ultimate setup would be to use a polyphonic pickup such as the RMC Acoustic Gold Standard II. You can then go through a MIDI interface into Logic Pro X. After that, you would record your tune with a metronome and quantize the track so the DAW can accurately transcribe your rhythm. Again, that may be a more complicated and/or expensive solution than you're looking for, but it's probably the most accurate way to do it.