Thread: Bridge for 1912 Gibson "A": seeking info

Default Bridge for 1912 Gibson "A": seeking info

Recently acquired a "plain A" Gibson mandolin (S/N 15709 and factory order number 1838) from year 1912. Just changed the strings. See the photo.
    • The non-adjustable bridge consists of a wood saddle with a black (ebony?) bridge in a slot running the length of the top of the saddle.
    • The saddle seems to be firmly attached (almost like it's glued) to the top of the mandolin. Or maybe it's just stuck in the finish after sitting there for 108 years. I have no idea whether this is the original saddle and bridge.
    • The black bridge piece is broken into three pieces.

I have seen photos of similar looking one piece bridges with the hole under the 1st string, but not with the two piece saddle and bridge. What's the purpose of the hole?

I am thinking to replace the bridge and/or saddle at some point. Any advice or pointers to into would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge 2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	187986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson mando 15709.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	187987  

Default Re: Bridge for 1912 Gibson "A": seeking info

The original pickguard had a nail that went thru the hole in the bridge for support.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The hole in the bridge was for the support pin on the pickguard.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Terminology trouble. The BASE comes in contact with the top; the SADDLES come in contact with the strings. This model of bridge consists of a 1-piece base with a slot into which four compensated saddles are fitted. Your saddles are not broken; that's the way this bridge was made.

If the base is glued to the top, that's bad. You would need to see a qualified luthier to find the best way of getting it off there.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

The hole would have originally had a piece of felt in it to stop the nail rattling around. I suspect that the bridge has simply “welded” itself into the finish on the top and a persuasive tap may break it loose. This could leave an edge in the finish which will need to be removed to allow the bridge to be repositioned. If the mandolin plays in tune, it may be simpler to leave it where it is.

Thanks to mrmando for correcting my terminology! "The strings ride on the saddle"; somewhere in the deep recesses of my deteriorating mind, I knew that...

Question: How do I know the whether compensated saddles are placed in the proper order and orientation?

Ed
    Last edited by spugaroony; Aug-17-2020 at 8:58am. Reason: clarity

Thanks to all of you for the great info!!! I am correcting my earlier post; corrections in CAPS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recently acquired a "plain A" Gibson mandolin (S/N 15709 and factory order number 1838) from year 1912. Just changed the strings. See the photos.
    • The non-adjustable bridge consists of a wood BASE with a black 4-piece COMPENSATED SADDLE in a slot running the length of the top of the BASE.
    • The BASE seems to be firmly attached (almost like it's glued) to the top of the mandolin. Or maybe it's just stuck in the finish after sitting there for 108 years. I have no idea whether this is the original bridge (BASE + SADDLE).

NEW QUESTIONS:
    • How do I know whether the four compensated saddle pieces are in the correct orientation and order?
    • Where could I purchase replacement saddle pieces if I wanted to?
    • Can anyone recommend a reference for this type of bridge?

I understand the purpose of the hole in the bridge was to mount a pick guard, which is missing on my mandolin.

I am thinking to leave the base in place unless it proves to be problematic. Are there good reasons to replace the whole bridge?

Thanks
    Ed

Teacher, repair person

1. All of these that I have seen that were in their original condition had 3 saddles, a single one for the G and D strings, a separate saddle for the A strings, and another for the E's. The saddle for the E's has a beveled end to match the curve of the bridge. The A string saddle will not have the bevel. Yours looks pretty much correct, although the A string saddle looks like it has a rather crude cut on the top which could be cleaned up. If the mandolin plays in tune up and down the neck, then the saddles are fine. If it has intonation problems, the bridge may need to be moved and/or one or more of the saddles re-shaped.

2. If a saddle needs to be replaced, it must be made by hand. Replacement saddles are not commercially available. A good luthier can make a replacement saddle fairly easily.

3. There is no standard reference for these bridges, except for mandolins or pictures of mandolins from the same period that are factory original.

4. If the bridge is not cracked, there is no reason to replace it, unless you prefer a modern adjustable bridge. Most of the time, I prefer to keep the original bridge on these mandolins. If the height needs to be adjusted, a shim can be fitted or the height reduced by a competent repair person. The repair person can also adjust the compensation if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by spugaroony View Post

Question: How do I know the whether compensated saddles are placed in the proper order and orientation?
    The simplest way is to compare the steps in the top with those on a modern mandolin which you know to be correct.

My '14 A came fitted with a horrendous adjustable "Shadow" pickup bridge and saddle but the original non-adjustable one was in the case - I'd count the number of saddles for you if I knew where it was! I had my local luthier make up and fit a fixed non-adjustable replica.

Found a 1914 Gibson catalog on archive.org. See the attached photos for details about the bridge and the mandolin. The bridge construction is explained very thoroughly. And the prices are amazing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1914 gibson a mandolin.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	188000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1914 gibson mandolin bridges.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	188001