Thread: Howard and Jethro

Default Howard and Jethro

This recently released CD from Howard Levy's vault contains material from a concert that he and Jethro Burns performed in the 80's. Very good sound quality and performance quality. Recommended for all lovers of Jethro Burns!

https://www.levyland.com/music

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Howard and Jethro

Love all things Jethro.

Thanks
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

What a great find - thanks for the heads-up! I've always been a huge fan of harmonica, not to mention Jethro. Got a bunch of Toots Thielemans discs in my library, but haven't heard as much of Levy. Nobody plays a diatonic harp like Howard Levy.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Dude! Thanks for the heads up. Got mine - can't wait to listen to it. What a pair.

Thanks for the alert.. CD ordered.

Brings back fond memories of seeing both of them at the Augusta Heritage Workshops back in the day.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Brings back fond memories of seeing both of them at the Augusta Heritage Workshops back in the day.
    Did you go to the Jethro workshop in '83?
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

I was at Augusta in 1983 but not in the Jethro workshop. I attended the mandolin workshop with Lorraine Duisit. I did get to see and meet Jethro at late night jams at the Icehouse. I think Jim Garber was there that year too.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    What a great find - thanks for the heads-up! I've always been a huge fan of harmonica, not to mention Jethro. Got a bunch of Toots Thielemans discs in my library, but haven't heard as much of Levy. Nobody plays a diatonic harp like Howard Levy.
    Me too! I can competently play each diatonic in three keys but Levy can pretty much pull off any key with a diatonic which is...well, it's just insane!

I'm really looking forward to listening to this one.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

I've been a fan of Howard Levy since I don't know when, allthough it might have started when Jethro himself said "Donnie you know who the best mandlin player is? It's Howard Levy! I'm just glad he doesn't play it that often, we'd all be out of work.." Needless to say I was honored when Howard asked me to write notes for this great release "Howard and Jethro"...and here they are:

The discovery and issue of this historic concert recording is to be celebrated and treasured.
    Howard and Jethro had a unique bond and mutual respect in spite of being a generation apart.
    Though both are regarded as innovative masters of their respective instruments, it's their love and mastery of creating spontaneous melodies that makes them kindred spirits. The abundant examples of that herein allow us to experience how they energized each other, the music, and in fact the whole room.
    What a joy to hear Jethro in exquisite form (on both mandolin and comedy), clearly inspired by a rhythm section that was up to the task.
    Thank you Howard. Viva Jethro!

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

This is must have for anyone with ears, not just moandolin players! It's great to hear Howard playing a couple of choruses of Donny Lee on diatonic harp. Who can do that? Nobody. And Jethro is just killing it. I do not want to use that phrase, but nothing else will suffice.

I didn't expect this to be much more than an interesting historical recording. Wrong! Jethro and the whole quartet are smoking! I'm transcribing some of the bass solos!