Thread: Mike Marshall’s tone recipe

Default Mike Marshall’s tone recipe

Disclaimer: this doesn’t make me play or sound like Mike. If you’re replying to say, “That won’t make you play like him!,” I’m aware.

I’ve been trying different string and pick combos with my Big Mon, and man... a Northfield with EJ75s and a Pro Plec big triangle sure does sound and feel great. To further steal from Mike’s trick bag, I’ve got the action pretty low (around .040”) and am using a foot stool.

As it turns out, copying these things from one of the best mandolin players ever yields very good results. Imagine that
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Mike Marshall’s tone recipe

Is it this one?
    D'Andrea Pro Plec 385 Large Round Mandolin (Shell 1.5mm)

Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Re:strings — On my Northfield F5S I tried Straight Up Strings medium gauge, and I think they sound great on it. Never went back to D’Daddario after that. So if you feel like experimenting again, they might sound good on your Big Mon.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gina Willis For This Useful Post:

I have never tried those, so I probably will. There’s a set of EJ74s to go on next, and I just brought all the records home from my dad’s house. There are a ton of Osborne Brothers albums, so maybe I’ll try Bobby’s signature GHS set after that

I think we all chase the "sound in our head'.

If yours has instructions, you're one step ahead of most of us.
    Last edited by Murphy Slaw; Aug-17-2020 at 6:46am.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

8. The following members say thank you to Murphy Slaw for this post:

I don’t think realizing that tone is ever going to happen. Instead, I’m cool with the idea of chasing it, and enjoying all the stops along the way. It’s especially fun to try the things that are in reach, like Mike’s setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I don’t think realizing that tone is ever going to happen. Instead, I’m cool with the idea of chasing it, and enjoying all the stops along the way. It’s especially fun to try the things that are in reach, like Mike’s setup.
    "Play it and it will come..."

11. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

On my Engelmann topped 5bar, the ProPlec pick was too dull sounding.
    I prefer the BlueChip CT55 or the Wegen TF-140.
    Both are great.

I tried D'addario EXP74CMs, which were pretty great, but found I liked plain 74s better.
    Then I found Straight Up Strings Mediums, which are absolutely awesome strings.
    They are bright, clear, and even across the courses.

I tried the 75s once, but they seemed to restrict the resonance of my mandolin.
    Could just be the 5Bar that doesn't like them.
    Every mandolin is different, so you just have to try them out and see what is best.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

13. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post: