Thread: Looking For An F5 Gibson

Thumbs up Looking For An F5 Gibson

After the divorce about 20 years ago. I ended up with a Gibson ES335 reissue dot neck guitar and a first generation Fender Eric Clapton signature Strat with Lace Sensor pick-ups. Both are in un-played condition. The Strat has the original box it came in also. Will I be able to trade these for an F5 Gibson. I guess what I'm asking is how and where should I start this? All input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Looking For An F5 Gibson

I also have a Kentucky KM272, KM150, and a KM855 Bells Voce that I'll also let go if I have to. I also have a KM171 Blackface, but I really want to keep it, so if anyone can help me out here please do. Thanks

Fairly common, but popular guitars, but the condition and original box should sell them. I'd say $2,000 each and that is adding about 30% for condition. So, that is $4K, so you are half to two-thirds the way there, depending on which F5 you want, who signed it, year, etc. The other three mandolins might add another grand, so you're at $5K, still a little short, depending on what you want, IMHO. This is just my evaluation, I could be off.

I would do some online shopping and see if you find a big store who has the mandolin you want and approach them with the trade. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't, depending on personalities and what they actually have in the mandolin. Make sure you are trading retail against retail. Some dealers will get slick and want to trade your stuff at a wholesale evaluation against their's at full retail. My experience selling used/vintage guitars tells me most dealers would rather have a couple clean, popular USA guitars than an expensive mandolin in their inventory, because the guitars will sell faster, so you have that going for you. Unless, the store is driving distance, then shipping becomes a big issue with several instruments and insurance. Especially, if the deal doesn't pan out and you are out shipping both ways.....

The other approach, which takes longer is to cash out by selling each one separately, then take the money and buy what you want. This puts you in the driver's seat as far as negotiating and making an offer goes....

Good luck!

$2k is definitely on the high end for the Strat. That’s more like what a Custom Shop model would be priced at. I’d be really surprised if anyone cared about getting the original box. Those Clapton Strats are killer guitars, and you won’t have a hard time selling it, but there are a gazillion of them out there. If it’s 7-Up Green, you will get more for it, though. Depending on the 335’s details, $2k is possibly a little low.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I agree with Chris. Although I'm "out" of the market for electrics these days, there are literally millions of them out there and selling them yourself is a pain, strangers and stuff.

Best of luck.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Another alternative to the above suggestions: post what you want to sell/trade in the classifieds here. Say you are open to trades for Gibson F-5. Someone might have cash for one of your instruments or have what you want.

Another question: do you have your mind set only on a Gibson F-5 or might you consider some other quality brands in your price range. I am not saying that Gibson is bad but there are some excellent F-5s out there which might cost you less money.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

i'd post everything here in the Cafe classifieds, research a little and put a fair selling price and they might move quickly. another thought might be to find a shop selling a used F-5 and seeing if you could work out a bulk trade for the mandolin-never know.

d