Thread: Rocklite Ebano fingerboards

Default Rocklite Ebano fingerboards

Anyone here regularly use Rocklite Ebano for fingerboards? Does it glue well with hide glue? Does it hold up well as a fingerboard? Any other thoughts on its workability vs ebony? Cheers!

Default Re: Rocklite Ebano fingerboards

I tried it a couple of years ago. It worked well, looked well, sanded well, all those things. However, I messed up the glue up slightly and it had to come off. This is where there is a problem, I applied heat with an iron placed on top of the frets and proceeded to insert a palette knife between it and the neck. Rocklite doesn't like heat, and it starts to open up its "grain", like long shreds( imagine like a crabstick), and that's it ruined!
    So if you're quite confident that you can glue up without problems, and you won't have to remove it, then go for it. As for me, I don't generally mess up the glue up these days, but never say never, so I won't be using it again.
    Mike
    I forgot to add that here in the UK, Ebano was about twice the price of an ebony board at the time.

I've been using Rocklite ebany more or less exclusively - I love it, and visually it looks just as good as ebony. Haven't tried removing one though...

Thanks for the info. I’m not so concerned with having to remove one. If something’s at that point then I already expect the possibility of making a new board. Has anyone refretted one? What do you think of the stiffness of Rocklite? Do you construct your necks differently than with ebony boards?

I use it and like it. Nice to be one less reason for Ebony deforestation. The boards that I have on pro-player instruments for the past 5 years look like they are aging and wearing like Ebony.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

6. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

hank 

Thanks everyone! What are you gluing them with? My main income is violin family instruments so I use hide or bone glue for pretty much everything. Not using new ebony is the goal. I’m already using Corene on violins. Do you have any issues with neck stability using Rocklite on longer necks such as octave mandolins? Cheers!
    Last edited by Patrick Toole; Aug-14-2020 at 10:41am.

They re-fret just fine, glue just like any other wood - either Titebond of HHG would both be fine.

For longer necks, it's not as stiff as ebony certainly, so maybe take that into account, though it's not exactly weak either.