Thread: Mandolin setup in Northern Ireland

Default Mandolin setup in Northern Ireland

Hi, first post here from a first time mandolin owner. I was wondering if there are any members here from Northern Ireland who could recommend someone to do a mandolin setup for me? Ideally Belfast/Antrim area but no problem going further.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Default Re: Mandolin setup in Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
    Hi, first post here from a first time mandolin owner. I was wondering if there are any members here from Northern Ireland who could recommend someone to do a mandolin setup for me? Ideally Belfast/Antrim area but no problem going further.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
    Welcome to the forum...I'm can't recommend a luthier for setup in your area since I live a little bit out of your way, but welcome!

There's an online free resource [on the forum] about doing a setup yourself from Rob Meldrum. If you're up to the task just search the forum for his contact information...good luck.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Thanks for your reply. I checked out Rob Meldrum's posts and have contacted him to request a copy of his Mandolin Setup Ebook. I do my own guitar work so would be reasonably happy having a go at the mandolin but would still like someone who knows what they're doing to give it a good initial set up. The action is very high and lowering the string height at the nut is the bit I'm worried about messing up.

Just a quick follow up post to say I got a copy of Rob Meldrum's Mandolin Setup Ebook and wanted to pass on a recommendation to anyone else like me who has a entry level mandolin and who wants to try to get it set up and playing better. I've done some work on guitars in the past but was hesitant to start working on my mandolin in case I messed up but the book is easy to follow, gave me the confidence to get started, and is useful to have to refer back to. And it's free to anyone who asks. Highly recommended.

Andy

I'm halfway between Belfast and Dublin - I bring my instruments to Frank Tate. He's based on Capel Street in the centre of Dublin. An easy walk from either the train or bus landing in from Belfast. I highly recommend Frank.

6. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post: