Thread: Any advantage to the headstock scroll on the bouzouki?

Default Any advantage to the headstock scroll on the bouzouki?

I've noticed that a lot of older bouzoukis have that carved scroll on the headstock. Is there any advantage to that, or is it purely ornamental? Are there any makers these days still offering that?

Default Re: Any advantage to the headstock scroll on the bouzouki?

I've also wondered about this - whether it helps improve the sound? However, my first, relatively cheap bouzouki (which had no scroll) was too heavy at the head stock end, which made playing with a strap (my definite preference) very problematic. I had to rig up a complicated system using some trouser braces to stop the instrument from slipping round - a total pain! My present bouzouki, same scale length, does not present this problem. I intuitively feel that a heavy scroll or carved block would introduce unwanted weight at the head stock, but I guess that would not be a problem for those who play without a strap. I'm sure I've seen it on line as a feature on new hand made instruments.
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Default Re: Any advantage to the headstock scroll on the bouzouki?

Added weight at the headstock of a guitar has been proven to improve sustain. I assume this would hold for a bouzouki.