Thread: Joe Segal-Jazz Impresario passes away

Default Joe Segal-Jazz Impresario passes away

No Mando content:
    Joe Segal, owner of Chicago’s Jazz Showcase, passed away at the age of 94. He started presenting live Jazz in the late 1940’s, Over seventy years of presenting the best of the best. Joe loved bebop & Charlie Parker. In fact, every August was Charlie Parker month & he featured hard core bebop & artists who were heavily influenced by Bird. The Jazz Showcase resided in various locations over the decades, but quality Jazz never suffered. Joe could be an irascible host, but he was never interested in being charming. He wanted to promote the music he loved, Jazz.
    I first started attending shows at the Showcase in the early ‘70’s. I have heard dozens & dozens of the Jazz greats. I have always felt fortunate to live in Chicago where I could hear the best in Jazz & Blues.
    I hope Joe is now sitting & listening to Bird again, in person. Maybe Pops is sitting in. & Gabriel is digging it.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

2. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Default Re: Joe Segal-Jazz Impresario passes away

Joe's passing has caused me to think back on all the various brilliant artists I got to see and hear up close at the Showcase. Let's see, Joe Pass (a few times)Buddy deFranco(with Terry Gibbs and Chicago's own Larry Novak), Triple Treat (Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, and Herb Ellis) with special guest Johnny Frigo,(Johnny brought me to tears--he played Isn't It Romantic, and the first three notes stopped all noise in the room, riveted the audience to his beautiful melodic statements) Pat Martino (a few times, every one of them stunning),my friend, mentor, and hero Judy Roberts, often with drummer Rusty Jones(best of the best),always a packed house when Judy holds court, Jim Hall (with Steve LaSpina and Larry Goldings), a spiritual experience in fact, Harry Allen play sax quartet arrangements with Chicagoans Greg Fishman and Eric Shneider, Catherine Russell (with guitar great Matt Munisteri) Rebecca Kilgore(with guitar great Andy Brown)Choro das Tres(yes! Choro das Tres!)and of course the famous "many others"...

Proud to say I finally got to work there myself in the last couple years, a couple times with Christy Bennett Fumee gypsy Project and once playing choros with Julie Koidin and Neal Alger. So there have been mandos in there...

Come to think of it, The Jazz Showcase has been one of the greatest places to go in Chicago, along with Wrigley Field. Joe Segal, in spite of his brusk manner, apparently had a heart of gold, as evidenced by the talent and artistry he nurtured and joy and inspiration he provided (perhaps i should say Showcased..) our city. Thanks again Joe.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Joe Segal-Jazz Impresario passes away

Yes, I, too, have been flashing back to so many wonderful nights at Joe’s Showcase. One memory Don, being a fellow Cub fan, would appreciate. I was at the Showcase when it was still on Rush street. Trumpet man, Freddie Hubbard, was playing & absolutely smoking. Sitting right behind me was the Cubs’ Carmen Fanzone. He was a well known Trumpet player. I would glance back on occasion to see if he was digging it. He appeared to be glued into every note. Someone at a nearby table said to him, “You play Trumpet too, right?” Carmen replied saying something like “not like him.” Fun little moment.
    I gotta drop some names: Dizzy, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, McCoy Tyler, Kenny Burrel, Joe Williams, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Big Band, Art Farmer, Tony Williams, Ornette Coleman (w/ Dewey, Haden, Blackwell), Yusuf Lateef, Roland Kirk, Joey D, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Dave Holland, Red Rodney, George Benson (pre-Breezin), Mose Allison, Clark Terry, Larry Coryell, Lou Donaldson, Louis Bellson, Marian McPartland etc...
    Great nights hearing these historic & iconic musicians up close & personal. Thanx to Joe Segal.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

6. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post: