Thread: CMSA Virtual Mini-Conference

Default CMSA Virtual Mini-Conference

The board and the tech people of this fine organization deserve a huge thank you for their work in setting up this event. The workshops, performances, and meeting rooms were such a refreshing break from the quarantined life. Although we could not actually play together, it had the feel of a real gathering, and I left more than a little inspired.
    For me, the highlights were Tim Connell's choro workshop--so well organized and informative of the stryle; concerts by the Hampton Trio and the Alexandrov & Skliar Duo were sparkling and very enjoyable. I do a little composing and arranging, so I got a lot of good ideas from Mark Linkins, and although I am a very amateur woodworker I will be going back to Peter Sawchyn's workshop video doe ideas.
    We had a hangout meeting of mandocello players and discussed online opportunities to play along with recorded tracks, available literature, and plans for Fabio Giudice's workshop at the November Virtual Convention.
    There were many other options and I couldn't do them all, so I hope others willa dd commentary to this about other sessions.
    Thanks again leaders and technicians, and we are all looking forward to November!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Default Re: CMSA Virtual Mini-Conference

Wow! I never heard about this. Sounds great. I have been to a few of the big conventions held near to me but could never afford to fly across the country to go to others. I may try for the November convention since it will be virtual.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

We'd love to have you; maybe you could show me how to do that "crab chord" on a mandocello.

The event that Jim Imhoff is referring to was CMSA's "Special Virtual Summer Event", which was a one-day tryout on Saturday, August 8 for our on-line "Convention in the Clouds", to be held November 13-15. As Jim mentioned, the one day event included workshops, concerts, and Zoom hangouts where people could get together. The concert by the Hampton Trio (Mark Davis, mandolin; Beverly Davis, guitar; myself, Robert Margo, on mandola in G, a.k.a. octave mandolin) was recorded live at North Meadow Farm in Hampton CT; it can be found on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRo1...kQmnTSyHrOEQMA. It features music by Lully (French baroque), Angel Barrios (early 20th century Spanish), Eileen Pakenham, Mark Linkins, and Yasuo Kuwahara.

Overall the one day event was successful and CMSA got very useful feedback from participants. Based on this experience, CMSA is now actively planning the online November event and it will also feature concerts (live streamed and/or recorded), workshops, ZOOM panel discussions, live Q&A sessions, "hangouts" (i.e. ZOOM meetups), OnDemand videos (which you can watch any time), among other attractions. Further details will be posted at the Cafe when they become available.
    Robert A. Margo

7. The following members say thank you to margora for this post: