Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better tone with light strings?

Default Better tone with light strings?

My favorite instrument I inherited from my dad is a Ray Sparks F-5, built in 1996. He played the frets off of it twice, wore all the finish off the neck, put some serious pinky divots in the top... gave this thing some serious time and love, and the resulting battle scars.

I’ve always loved this mandolin, but since I got it, it hasn’t sounded very good. When I picked it up from his house, it was in its case, so I don’t think he’d played it in awhile. After trying various gauges and string materials, I read an interview with Don Julin where he said his Nugget F-5 prefers light gauge strings. As luck would have it, I found the same strings Don uses in my dad’s stuff. 10, 15, 24, 38, GHS.

Much to my surprise, these strings brought it to life. It’s clear as a bell, like I took a blanket off the speaker, and the chop has this mid range punch that’s unbelievable.

Anybody else have one like that?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: Better tone with light strings?

I also like lighter strings on my Mandolins. Usually either GHS A 250's (10 - 36) or D'Addario J 73's (10 - 38). I feel I get a richer tone and a little more sustain, and yes, even a little better volume . I have played friends mandolins with heavier strings that sounded great so I do think that its an individual mandolin and player kind of thing. The lighter strings definitely are kinder to my old hands tho. On the down side, I've been working on Evening Prayer Blues and don't think I'll ever get that powerful open G string that Mike Compton has with my current lighter gauges.
    Peace

3. The following members say thank you to Ken for this post:

Agreed, it's definitely a case-by-case thing.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Yes, A lifelong question. Rick Beato put out this video in January this year which he claims light strings on a guitar, offer better tone and sustain. You can see it here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGXj_NQONYM Me, I'm on the fence as it goes against a lifetime of thinking bigger is always better. It does make some sense ,that having the top under less tension will let it move more freely. Time to experiment.

Just for clarification, the post wasn’t meant to be all encompassing. My first no-name mandolin and my Eastman 315 definitely benefited from EJ75 strings, my Gibson worked well with 74 or 75, and this Sparks seems to like the lights. I’ve never met a quality acoustic guitar that didn’t sound best with 13-56, and electric guitars are completely dependent on your playing style. I use 10-52, but a friend of mine makes 8s sound awesome.

7. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

And, always remember.

Tone is in the eye of the earholder...
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murphy Slaw For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

All depends on the mandolin, how does it do in a jam or gig? I never had luck with playing bluegrass stuff in a setting with light strings-probably on stage its different as the mic/PA can bump one up a notch or two but in a fest-say parking lot jam-I'd bust em-for sure when a banjo player thinks he has to overpower everyone!! I can't stand that when everyone plays so darn hard and loud! Let the instrument do the work! At home by yourself and say a guitar playing with ya-ya man enjoy!

I've definitely got too heavy of a picking hand for light strings in a jam setting. On my Flatbush mando which is an awesome one but a backup mostly, I put lights on it when my girlfriend was trying to learn to play and it made a big difference for her in finger pain. They sounded surprisingly good I thought. (But it had been forever since it had new strings too!)
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post

Much to my surprise, these strings brought it to life. It’s clear as a bell, like I took a blanket off the speaker, and the chop has this mid range punch that’s unbelievable.

Anybody else have one like that?
    I had the same experience with a very responsive Campanella a few years ago.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I put GHS thin core strings 10-41, on a few guitars a while ago and was surprised at how good they sounded. Started out for an old ladder braced parlor guitar so I could tune it up to pitch. WOW it sounded great, better intonation, so put them on a few others. The Larivee likes heavier strings, but the rest sound good with the lighter ones. I do have different gauges on different mandolins and yes each instrument is an individual just like us.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I actually prefer the sound of heavier strings on my Gibson but I prefer the feel and playability of lighter strings. That might be coming with my advancement in age. If it sounds better to you then that's all that matters.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    ... and yes each instrument is an individual just like us.
    Love it!

A "tubby" A-1 from 1917? Went lighter on just the G course and it's now nicely balanced.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    Yes, A lifelong question. Rick Beato put out this video in January this year which he claims light strings on a guitar, offer better tone and sustain.
    There’s a story that Billy Gibbons tells about BB King that goes back a number of years ...BB asked him if he wanted to play Lucille while warming up prior to a co-performance, so Billy jumped at the chance and they proceeded to swap guitars ...after a few minutes BB looked up and asked Billy why he was using such heavy strings on his guitar? Billy just shrugged and said ‘he thought that was the way to get the best tone out of it’...BB responded by telling him that he didn’t have to work that hard to get it and that he himself uses a light gauge string, like 9’s. Billy said he immediately changed to 8’s (one down from BB’s) and has never looked back.

17. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Sticking with mediums

My $0.02 - it depends on the player for sure, but I think the construction of the instrument is an important part of which strings will work best.

I have a rather shitty mandolin with a veneer, and I am able to get a relatively good sound of it using heavier strings from a guitar set. That is to say, the body doesn't resonate well on its own, so the heavier tension of the strings helps power the body vibrations.
    Whereas, with a well-made mandolin with a light body, you would want the strings to be lighter to allow the body resonance to take over and project the sound.

This is my intuition based on what I've heard/read, so feel free to prove me wrong of course. As far as pure electric instruments go, there is no "body" sound to speak of, so then it's definitely all up to personal preference on the string gauge.
    Last edited by ohnoitsalobo; Aug-13-2020 at 5:30am.

Yup. Depends on the player and instrument. I do think my oval hole A Jr. sounds better with lights. The Flatiron prefers medium or medium heavy.

Am the same way with guitars. For a number of years would string up my D sized guitars with lights based on what a late friend did. He had a number of great vintage guitars, never liked mediums on them. And he was always heard at jams.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Better / Worse ..... who knows but the player on a specific instrument .... different ... yes ... different brand same gauge will also yield a tonal variation. Your taste , touch and instrument and expectations are what make up "better" ..... Personally I can't stand GHS strings... but many here love them. Enjoy that mandolin. R/
    Last edited by UsuallyPickin; Aug-13-2020 at 7:10am. Reason: Different thought
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Someone recommended J75's for Silverangels, I tried and do agree... had them on for a while now and really like them. I understand most of the flattops are intended for light strings. I had the GHS light strings on my 1N which sounded really nice, so I bought some for the pancake I am currently building.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

In addition to what I’ve already stated, my default set is the D’Addario Custom Medium, 11.5, 16, 26, 40. I put these on my new-to-me Northfield Big Mon. I’ll try the EJ75 next to see if the 41 G sounds better, but the 40 sounds fine for now.

Just to stir the pot a little and irritate the “who cares what someone else uses” crowd, I started using this gauge after Adam Steffey gave me a set, and had wanted to try them because Chris Thile came up with them. Turns out, two guys with killer tone and awesome playing aren’t a bad place to look for advice.

I have 10~ 38 strings on one mandolin, 11 to 41 on another..* is one better than the other? not in my opinion, just different.

1 an A, the other an A4 made in Kalamazoo in 22..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like 80/20 bronze strings on oval hole mandolins. I used to put EXP77's on both my Old Wave oval and my Parsons flat-top. But I switched a while ago to EJ62's (10-34). I think I get better tone and volume.

Interesting discussion! I have always been inclined toward the heavier strings. Now I’m wondering if it’s time for some experimentation.

I had a luthier set up my Gibson J 200 and an old Dobro with light strings after he preached at me for an hour about the evils of heavy strings. That was 20 years ago, and to this day the J 200 almost never comes out of the case. There is no power there.

I’m new to the mandolin. I may not be as set in my ways with that.

27. The following members say thank you to Greg Connor for this post:

Erin M 

https://www.stringsbymail.com/la-bel...-38-16934.html

^^^ These are what I use. To me they are the perfect balance between reg mediums and lights since they are 11-38 rather than the traditional 11-40. They also seem to be made of a slightly "softer" (lacking a better term) type of wire which makes them feel a lot better under my fingers. They also happen to sound better on my mandolin than any other strings. Highly recommended.

29. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Erin M 

I'm using EJM75C ("Medium Plus" Monel set) which are 11, 14, 25, 41. I love the "played-in" sound of the Monel strings (and their longevity), but my feeling on the 41 G is that it sounds a bit... stuffy and the 11 E is lacking tone and sustain. The D and A sound like what I'm after. I don't know much about how tension affects things, but it may be worth noting that the D and A strings are the lowest tension of the set. But, I'm still new to mandolin and experimenting with different strings, so I'll give some lighter strings a shot in future. Chasing the elusive tone...
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

Teacher, repair person

If your instrument sounds choked, by all means lighten the load.