Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb and petty complaint (Doyle Lawson F-5 content)

Default Dumb and petty complaint (Doyle Lawson F-5 content)

As some may know, I recently inherited a 2016 Doyle Lawson F-5. It plays great, it sounds great, and I should never have to look in the Mandolin Classifieds ever again. It’s a top tier instrument, and I’m pretty happy with it.

However... every time I see a black top Collings or Northfield, it really makes me wish the Gibson was black. There’s a Big Mon black top with a figured pickguard in the Classifieds right now that, if the owner were local, would have me very tempted to swap.

As the thread title suggests, I’m totally aware of how dumb this is. This F-5 is all the mandolin and more that I will ever need. I’ve even gotten over my dislike of the gold hardware, but I simply don’t love the reddish burst. Even the black Collings MTs look way more attractive to me.

Apologies for the superficial complaint, and I’ll accept any good-natured calling out of my whining anybody wants to dish out
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: Dumb and petty complaint (Doyle Lawson F-5 content)

Welcome to the reality of MAS
    Acceptance of this terrible disorder is the only way to begin recovery. Though, it is most likely (no, nearly inevitable) that you will forever be affected.
    The only cure is to lock down your bank accounts. Put your credit cards in a block of ice in the freezer. And give all authority to purchase new mandolins to your significant other.
    These and any other measures are simply treatments of the symptoms. You may/will be forever affected.
    May you find a way to endure confidently.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eric Hanson For This Useful Post:

Hah! I have a black top Old Wave that I wish was a natural or honey amber. My paltry advice is try to make it all about the music and your playing of it. Then the instrument and its appearance becomes less important. You have a great instrument there. Enjoy.

Close your eyes or play it in the dark. Makes you wonder how blind folks chose instruments.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Who left you the Gibson? For me playing musician something that was left to me by a loved one would far outweigh my likes of the aesthetics of the instrument. I did not inherit my Heiden but it is the last mandolin both of my grandparents heard me play and I played it at their funerals. I'll keep it forever because of that connection.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My experience may be different, but once I made my main-playing mandolin mine by spending years playing and tweaking setup with it, and finally by having it modified to suit my tastes, it became a bond, a lifetime instrument. I'm not even remotely tempted to sell or trade it off. But it had to feel like an extension of my hands and of my mind in order to get to that point.

That doesn't mean I don't see and admire other mandolins, but I'm clearly not in the market -- except when extremely bored, I've even pretty much stopped looking at our great classifieds here in the Cafe... Interestingly, this coincides with a similar bonding with my main-playing banjo, with my double bass and with my Dobro; all three are unique and special, now life-time instruments for me. So this bonding with my mandolin may also be related to this period of time in my life.

Sort of like marriage, I'm not blind, but I'm dedicated and committed.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

About 20 years ago, when I was still actively playing classical guitar, I walked into a shop in Atlanta and spied a guitar made by Sobrinos de Santos Hernandez [nephews of Santos Hernandez]. They had obviously been trained by the master, and the instrument was suitable for a Segovia or Bream. It was about $2500 [very reasonable], built out of the best spruce and Brazilian rosewood, extremely responsive, and very comfortable to play. But I didn't care for the color of the varnish-- it was too yellow for me. So I passed. A couple of weeks later, it had been sold.

Boy, I wish I had bought that guitar and ignored the yellow varnish. I could easily spend 10 to 20 thousand dollars and not get an instrument that good.

If your instrument is good and suits you well, enjoy it.
    Or you could have it refinished, but if you did, you would risk damaging the instrument or changing the tone. And there are still very few people out there who are capable of refinishing an instrument really well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Maybe I’ll just spray paint it black.

Ok, I’m obviously not going to do that It was my dad’s, but his lifelong mandolin was a Sparks F-5 that I also have. He bought the DL about 5 years ago, but the Sparks is the one I’m sentimental about.

I think further modifications are in order. The finish was really sticky, so I speed necked it. Zero regrets about that, as it feels as good as it sounds now.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

For me I may not like the sunburst on your particular instrument, but I don't care at all for a black top. Easy peasy.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

A Doyle Lawson Gibson is a great mandolin, but it’s not particularly valuable or historically significant like a Loar (and I agree, the DL Gibsons look kinda dated) ...so... why not make it what you want?

Send it to a good luthier for a blacktop finish, nickel Rubners or Waverlys with black buttons, a nickel engraved James tailpiece, and a custom black leather strap....

You haven’t spent a dollar on it yet; that’s an easy way to justify dropping some cash!

Sure, it might affect the resale value, but who cares? You can do it in memory of your dad, you’ll love it, and you’ll probably want to keep it forever at that point.

Send us some pre / post pics, lol! ��
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jstring For This Useful Post:

One of my late father's corny expressions from 50 years ago was "you can't choose your color on a used car" -- I guess that would apply to other options and inherited mandolins, as well......

And, of course, that only applied to what showed up at the local dealer's lot. Today, with internet searches we CAN choose our color and other options if we are willing to expand our search to buying by mail, online, etc......

With that in mind, you could, take the mandolin to Elderly, Carter's, etc. and trade for what you really want and it would still be from "dad" at least to my way of thinking.

We sold one of dad's old cars and my sister and I split the money. Nobody needed or wanted the car, but we now have a new dishwasher and disposal that came from "dad!" And, I think of him everytime I use it......

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Maybe you could look at it like getting a tattoo. You have decided what you want, set a date of 6 or 12 months to think about it. If at the end of that time you still want a black top, make it happen. In that period you will have the chance (hopefully) to play out with it. Its kind of funny how your opinion can change when you see something through the eyes of others. It might grow on you after a few people tell you how nice it is. JMHO though. I have a Black top and find it lacks character. It sounds and plays great, just looks boring as all get out.

21. The following members say thank you to QCS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Close your eyes or play it in the dark. Makes you wonder how blind folks chose instruments.

The way we all should, by the feel and the sound. Everyone gets so caught up in the way things look. I've played some mighty pretty instruments that sounded like they were stuffed with cotton or screeched like someone stepping on a cat's tail.

I've owned (and still own) a few blacktop instruments, but I'm not sure I'd have chosen them over others that sounded better, just because they were blacktops.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I have experienced something similar with instruments.
    If it isn't the instrument you really want, you will think about that every time you play it.
    It will not become the instrument you really want.

Your mandolin is worth some serious cash.
    Sell it and buy one that makes you super happy every time you pick it up, or trade it for the mandolin of your dreams.
    There are plenty of amazing mandolins out there in the world.
    The perfect one is waiting for you.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

24. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

As you seem to like the Gibson sound, why not try and get a recent 75th Anniversary F10 or a Victorian? The latter even has a connection to Doyle.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My all black 75th Anniversary F-10 just left me today to a new home so I'm getting something very interesting in the trade! Mmmmmmmmmmmm

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    I have experienced something similar with instruments.
    If it isn't the instrument you really want, you will think about that every time you play it.
    It will not become the instrument you really want.

Your mandolin is worth some serious cash.
    Sell it and buy one that makes you super happy every time you pick it up, or trade it for the mandolin of your dreams.
    There are plenty of amazing mandolins out there in the world.
    The perfect one is waiting for you.
    I’m afraid you’re right. Seems like the smart thing here is to stay fluid in my decision, and wait until I have the opportunity to play some Collings and Northfields, and whatever else. Maybe I find the one, maybe I discover I already have the one.

But seriously, the entire time I’ve had this instrument, I’ve been trying make it something it’s not.

I’d live with it a while before deciding to trade it or have it refinished, but if you ultimately decide it just bothers you to look at it, by all means, turn it into something you like better (either with a trade or a refin). I tend to get attached to my instruments based on memories/experiences with them, but I’ve never regretted an upgrade, regardless of the sentimentality...

Blog Entries

I wouldn't refinish it, then it'll be pretty much worthless except to you and if you wanted to sell, it would be very cheap? Just my opinion.

Looks like Chris has decided to move on......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/158443#158443
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

33. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    As some may know, I recently inherited a 2016 Doyle Lawson F-5. It plays great, it sounds great, and I should never have to look in the Mandolin Classifieds ever again. It’s a top tier instrument, and I’m pretty happy with it.

However... every time I see a black top Collings or Northfield, it really makes me wish the Gibson was black. There’s a Big Mon black top with a figured pickguard in the Classifieds right now that, if the owner were local, would have me very tempted to swap.

As the thread title suggests, I’m totally aware of how dumb this is. This F-5 is all the mandolin and more that I will ever need. I’ve even gotten over my dislike of the gold hardware, but I simply don’t love the reddish burst. Even the black Collings MTs look way more attractive to me.

Apologies for the superficial complaint, and I’ll accept any good-natured calling out of my whining anybody wants to dish out
    Like the Rolling Stones song

I have a mando and I want it painted black
    No sunburst anymore, I want it to turn black
    Cheers,
    Rick

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgregg48 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
    ...I have a mando and I want it painted black
    No sunburst anymore, I want it to turn black...
    If you play an S8, will your green Seagull turn a deeper blue?

I could not foresee this thing happening to you...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Looks like Chris has decided to move on......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/158443#158443
    Chris did move on, to a Northfield Big Mon. It arrived today, but I’m stuck at work, so I’ll only get a little time with it tonight. However, I picked a handful of notes, love how it sounds, and can already tell it was a move in the right direction.

Is it a black top?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Is it a black top?
    No. It’s more of a tobacco burst, which I like. It does have black tuner buttons, and not a hint of gold

40. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post: