Thread: Estate sale find in Ohio -- maybe

Default Estate sale find in Ohio -- maybe

Here's the ad; the estate sale was last week but the ad is still up.

Ad says "a 1946 Martin guitar and an older mandolin." The guitar is (I'm no expert) a 000, I think; can't tell if it's 18 or 28 since there isn't a photo of the back. No photo of the mandolin!

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/gms...169554576.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00S0S_4u4XE9tFG0a_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	187865
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Estate sale find in Ohio -- maybe

Quick search finds a 1946 000-18 (mahogany back) for $6K and a 1946 000-28 (rosewood back) for $18K. So that is a worthwhile guitar; makes you wonder about the mandolin.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

It's a 000-18. Back is visible through the soundhole and definitely mahogany. And the fingerboard inlay pattern is different between the two. As well as the -28 series should have an ebony bridge and fingerboard.

Unless they got the serial number from the neck block, I think it's later than 1946. The rounded headstock corners make me think later. Could even be 1960's.

If it doesn't need a lot of work (neck set, pickguard crack, bridge coming up) then it probably sold quickly.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

It is a "his and hers" sale -- she liked crafts, rings, and purses, while he liked guitar, mandolin and dirty books................................

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    ...I think it's later than 1946. The rounded headstock corners make me think later. Could even be 1960's...
    Not if the G-98 tuners are original.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Not if the G-98 tuners are original.
    Mike Longworth tells an interesting story about the “rounded corners” in his book “Martin Guitars a History”. I’m not sure if he puts a date on it but, for those who haven’t heard it, apparently, the more rounded corners weren’t deliberate. It wasn’t until somebody asked why they had changed the shape of the headstock that they realised that the single metal template they had been scribing around was wearing rounder and rounder.

It looks more like a 60's model Martin to me as well. Maybe they reversed the 64 with 46.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I figured the guitar folks here would straighten this out. Of course I emailed the seller about the guitar and mandolin, but if they're both sold I doubt I'll get a reply.

Teacher, repair person

.. unintentional double post

Teacher, repair person

Well, this guitar person thinks the picture isn't clear enough to say anything for sure. The long saddle bridge, if original, indicates '65 or earlier. The bridge color [again, if original] is a bit light for what I would expect to see on a '46. Rosewood fingerboards did become common on 000-18's by 1940. I've seen G-98 Grovers on Martins made as late as the early '60's. I can't tell anything about the shape of the head from the seller's pictures-- both the angle and the focus make any conclusion risky.

See if the seller can produce a serial number and a price, and go from there. The front of the instrument appears to be in quite good condition.

15. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I think anyone who runs estate sales for a living can look up a Martin serial number online. Pretty easy. Takes about 20 seconds. And, Martin numbers run in a logical sequence, unlike Gibson and other companies. That and the model, also stamped on the neck block can then be looked up on Google and that will tell you what they sell for -- again, might take another 20-30 seconds.

I also think that there is a 1000 percent chance the guitar has been sold if it was priced at near market value or below. People in Cleveland like vintage Martin's, too.
    If the sellers were greedy it might still be available.

I've been buying from estate sales for 50 years at this point. Most estate dealers have people they call prior to the sale for instruments, records, comic books, jewelry, old cars, guns, etc.............most of what is offered to the general public has already been picked over. The good stuff is already gone, in most cases.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

True, until it comes to Martin mandolin serial numbers. The you'd be real surprised.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I think I saw a rectangular case behind that Yosemite Sam box in the closet. Could be that closet Loar F-5.

I wonder why they didn't show the mandolin, or did I just miss it?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1