Thread: Low Cost Beater F Mandolin That's Really Good And My Review

Default Low Cost Beater F Mandolin That's Really Good And My Review

Visited a instrument store a few weeks ago to pick up mandolin strings and of course I had to check out the mandolins on display and actually found a very decent F mandolin that's inexpensive and not just junk. I started playing a Loar 310 F and it was great sounding. Action was nice, intonation was spot on, hand carved spruce top, decent tuners, bone nut, ebony saddle and bridge and stainless frets at $350.00. After deciding I wanted to purchase the mandolin the sales person say's," That's the display model, let me get you one new in the box." So I reply, "No, that's okay. I'm willing to pay full price for the display model, this is the mandolin I want. "
    Beware of the bait and switch tactics at music stores where they set up the display mandolin and then pass off a new, in the box mandolin from the factory that isn't set up.
    The Loar 310 F is actually a very decent mandolin at it's price !

2. The following members say thank you to FiddlerJohn for this post:

Default Re: Low Cost Beater F Mandolin That's Really Good And My Review

Yes they are actually a good value for a "F"" style with a carved spruce top. My experience with the Loar 310 F showed it to be easy to play (once properly set up) and had a pleasing tone. I found it to be a bit short on volume and was not quite up to ensemble playing but very nice for solo playing. At $350 it is a bargain. I believe it is made in China. With many musical instruments the manufacturer sells it to a distributer who doubles the price and the distributer sells it to the music store where the price is doubled again. It must be manufactured for around $87.00 and shipped across the Pacific where the distributer makes it about $175.00 or so and then on to the music store where it becomes $349.99. For the budget minded who want the F style look it is an attractive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Yes they are actually a good value for a "F"" style with a carved spruce top. My experience with the Loar 310 F showed it to be easy to play (once properly set up) and had a pleasing tone. I found it to be a bit short on volume and was not quite up to ensemble playing but very nice for solo playing. At $350 it is a bargain. I believe it is made in China. With many musical instruments the manufacturer sells it to a distributer who doubles the price and the distributer sells it to the music store where the price is doubled again. It must be manufactured for around $87.00 and shipped across the Pacific where the distributer makes it about $175.00 or so and then on to the music store where it becomes $349.99. For the budget minded who want the F style look it is an attractive option.
    I really like it as a campfire beater mandolin. As I play it in, it gets better and better. I put some D'Addario EJ74 strings on it and it's really sounding very decent. Time to light the camp fire here and drink a few beers and get some playing time in.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiddlerJohn For This Useful Post:

I've looked at the 310, almost bought one. I have been playing the LM110 for two years and find it to enjoyable, a huge step up from the Appalachian I started with. THe Loar makes some great products at an accessible price point. I'm actually thinking of moving up to their 520 next.
    Freemanwalking

Loar LM110 mandolin
    Larrivee D-03R
    1963 Gibson Hummingbird
    Takamine GD93-CE
    a bunch of harmonicas