Thread: Little Rock Getaway

Default Little Rock Getaway

anyone doing Little Rock Getaway on mandolin, I worked on the melody on guitar, not the blazing tempo but slow to moderate

Default Re: Little Rock Getaway

Here's a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ2A0xFB04

Copy into your browser if you can. It's a great version by Ralph Carr. He starts out with it at an uptempo speed then slows way down to show each note up close. He also offers it in tab form if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoRock65 View Post
    Here's a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ2A0xFB04

Copy into your browser if you can. It's a great version by Ralph Carr. He starts out with it at an uptempo speed then slows way down to show each note up close. He also offers it in tab form if needed.
    thanks that will be a help, do you know this tune? The notes ascend and descend so perfectly for some reason the notes in his slowed down version don't seem to have that perfection but then I'm probably just hearing it wrong in it slow form and need to relisten...oh and I don't do tab, I either hear it or just play it right or more than likely wrong the way I hear it haha
    Last edited by CBFrench; Aug-04-2020 at 5:40pm.

Jordan Ramsey posted a great version not long ago.

5. The following members say thank you to jd.panko for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jd.panko View Post
    Jordan Ramsey posted a great version not long ago.
    I'll have to try and find that. I still have my vid when I attempted to figure out the melody on my guitar and that wasn't real easy for me cause every version was just so darn fast. Not so easy on mandolin ha still learning my way around

It's a great tune. FWIW, Wes Carr (the video linked) is a friend and great player. He won the Mandolin Flatpicking Contest at Winfield last year and manages our local music shop Ax-In-Hand here in DeKalb, IL. As to mandolin tab, it's in the Tabledit files available from the Mandozine website. I think that site is technically "down" but there's ways to get the Tabledit files anyway. I also posted, years ago, the chords I learned from Jethro Burns via a student of his. They're on the site also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    It's a great tune. FWIW, Wes Carr (the video linked) is a friend and great player. He won the Mandolin Flatpicking Contest at Winfield last year and manages our local music shop Ax-In-Hand here in DeKalb, IL. As to mandolin tab, it's in the Tabledit files available from the Mandozine website. I think that site is technically "down" but there's ways to get the Tabledit files anyway. I also posted, years ago, the chords I learned from Jethro Burns via a student of his. They're on the site also.
    It is a nice tune. I know the chord structure, have to work on it some more
    Last edited by CBFrench; Aug-05-2020 at 1:12pm.

This tune can be a handful. I've been "learning it" for several decades. Recently with the extra down time due to the pandemic/quarantine, I have had more actual practice time and feel like it's starting to sound the way I want it to sound. My advice is to practice it over and over and over until you're starting to get sick of it. At that point you're starting to learn it! Good luck!

I’ll have to give this a shot, thanks for bringing it up. The brilliant guitarist Amos Garrett used to play “Little Rock Getaway” (the A part) as a variant B-part to Arkansas Traveler. So give that a try if you dare! It sounded really cool.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music