Thread: Just changed up my strap

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Just changed up my strap

Since I first bought my (A style) mandolin I've attached the strap to the headstock, threading the cord under the strings behind the nut.

I've just untied the cord, and moved the attachment point to the neck, threading the cord under the (ever so slightly) raised fingerboard and around the neck.

I have no idea if this is "better" or if I will prefer it at all, but I did it.

How do you attach your strap, and why did you settle on that way?

Oh, and I do over the left shoulder. I may try right shoulder only someday, but if I do I doubt I'll stick with it.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Just changed up my strap

When I had an A, around the joint, under the fingerboard like the way you have it now.

Ive tried the right shoulder style and I cant do it. My setup is like Thile's. Leather strap with some shoelace knotted to go around the F's scroll.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc

Both of my "A" styles (Kentucky and Collings) have a strap button on the bottom of the neck (near where it meets the body).

When I try the "headstock a behind the nut method" (guitar or mando) it sometimes gets in the way of my left hand.

I can't do the right shoulder thing. It just doesn't feel stable.

Resident Hack

Shoelace to thread the cord under the strings behind the nut. I am still on the fence about left vs. right shoulder. Right is more common, while playing in bands where I have to switch back and forth from guitar.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

I used to go head stock but it got in the way of my left hand. Moved it between the first and second tuning posts and that helped. Kept it that way until I got my Kelly A-5, and have gone neck joint attachment since. I’m pretty adaptable and just kind of get used to whatever I’m doing, so I don’t know that either way is “better.” I like not having it in the way of my left hand, but also feel like the mando is better balanced with the head stock approach.

My first mandolin was a Kentucky F-style. Coming from guitar I didn’t really know any better, so I tied to that head stock, too. Worked just fine. If I ever get another F style, though, I’ll use that fancy strap hanger as Loar intended, lol.
    Chuck

I found that with the strap attached at the headstock the mandolin hung with the neck heel in the middle of my tummy. With the strap attached at the heel the mandolin is shifted to the left, with the body of the mandolin in the middle of my tummy. This places the neck more “in my hand.” I feel I can keep both my shoulders more relaxed, and left arm hangs more naturally.

Oh, yeah, unless I’m just trying someone else’s mandolin out quickly I always play with the strap I’ve my left shoulder guitar style. Way more stable for me that way, even if it’s not Big Mon cool…
    Chuck

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I attach it the way you do on my A style, under the fretboard and around. Reason being that I prefer it that way, there’s never any muss & fuss about it, and it can’t interfere with my left hand at all. Many years ago, I used to attach guitar straps by tying above nut under strings, for the guitar, but a very long while back I switched to using a button on the heel for my guitars. When I took up mandolin, I never dreamed of attaching my straps any other way than I do now, same as yours.

I much prefer that to a heel button on a mandolin as well. Mandolins are tiny, and I don’t care for screwing anything into the heel on one. Just my preference.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

A style, boot lace under fret board, hangman noose on each end.
    F style, boot lace under scroll, noose on each end.
    Been doing that way for over 20 years, slung over right shoulder.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I’ve attached a strap differently over the years, my current mandolin doesn’t have a strap button on its neck heel and I don’t plan on adding one. I just use a leather loop and leather button that I can tighten down on the headstock over the strings, it’s fast and easy for me to put on and take off.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 707erich For This Useful Post:

After a few days with my strap attached at the heel, I changed back to attaching at the headstock. This way I feel like I can more completely immobilize my mandolin using just my right forearm and my left thumb.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    Since I first bought my (A style) mandolin I've attached the strap to the headstock, threading the cord under the strings behind the nut.

I've just untied the cord, and moved the attachment point to the neck, threading the cord under the (ever so slightly) raised fingerboard and around the neck.

I have no idea if this is "better" or if I will prefer it at all, but I did it.

How do you attach your strap, and why did you settle on that way?

Oh, and I do over the left shoulder. I may try right shoulder only someday, but if I do I doubt I'll stick with it.
    When I had a raised fingerboard, I did it your way. Now I don't. I got a strap button for the neck heel.

I do the same thing with guitars. Mandos and guitars feel more balanced to me when the strap isn't up at the headstock.

Either way is fine, though. Just do what feels better to you.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    After a few days with my strap attached at the heel, I changed back to attaching at the headstock. This way I feel like I can more completely immobilize my mandolin using just my right forearm and my left thumb.
    And now I just switched it back to the heel. I was running scales and I didn't feel like headstock attachment was giving my left fingers the best angle to hit the strings in the "sweet spot" for best clean tone.

I believe that what you really need is two mandolins, one attached either way. That way you can compare back and forth without the hassle of moving the strap.

( Any excuse for a new mandolin )

BTW, that would be another new A in addition to the F you're already jonesing after
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Prefer mine at the heel. For A style. And will put in a strap button if needed. Also have it guitar style over the left shoulder. Just started that way and am too lazy to change.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I believe that what you really need is two mandolins, one attached either way. That way you can compare back and forth without the hassle of moving the strap.

( Any excuse for a new mandolin )

BTW, that would be another new A in addition to the F you're already jonesing after
    Got them both already picked out.

For the F style I want an Eastman 515, Sitka & maple, with the varnish finish. For the A style I want an Eastman 404, Sitka & mahogany with an oval sound hole.

The 515 is literally twice the price of the 404, but that’s the one I want most.

Saving my nickels and dimes and bottle caps and breakfast cereal box tops….