Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refretting

Default Re: Refretting

There are a few pricey tools that are worth it IMO. A precision ground fret leveler is a must to true the tops. I have the SM tubular steel one and it works great. The fret nibbler is also necessary if you're doing bound fret boards. I find I have to file off burs from the bottom of the bead about half the time after using one. The last tool I feel is really worth splurging on is a diamond crowning file. They just work so smooth and consistently, no need to go coarser than 300 grit. You also need a safe edge file for dressing the fret ends. SM makes one, it's tiny but really cuts fast. Of course, refretting means a new nut or at least shimming the existing one, so nut files also necessary. Once you buy all these tools, you understand why luthiers charge $300+ for a refret. and Oh yes, all of my instruments get EVO Gold. It's amazing how long it lasts.

2. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I use a diamond sharping steel, maybe 3X8" for flattening frets and for initial sharping of chisels and plane blades. Nothing like getting a tool that can multitask and spend less.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post

I think it is great on an electric bass, but I also play fretless and most of my time is spent on the double bass, so I am used to easy glissading. I use Thomastic flatwounds, not big round wound strings.
    Thanks very much for your response. I have Thomastics on a frankenjazz that I bolted together years ago from parts. I can’t remember the last time I changed them, lol’s, love them. I was thinking of converting that bass to mandolin wire but your explanation of the tang size makes a lot of sense and gives me pause now... something I hadn’t thought about. I do use rounds on my Smith 5. Since we’re talking bass, check the vids on this link to kemp strings...apologies to the OP for going off course a little bit ☺️

https://kempstrings.com/

5. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I use a diamond sharping steel, maybe 3X8" for flattening frets and for initial sharping of chisels and plane blades. Nothing like getting a tool that can multitask and spend less.
    No kidding - a couple of diamond plates is a good investment. During fretwork, I use them to remove sanding scratches from the fret tops - after leveling with sandpaper but before recrowning. They are also great for removing file marks from fret ends after beveling/filing flush.