Thread: Does my mandolin need some kind of adjustment?

Default Does my mandolin need some kind of adjustment?

Hi, I just bought a cheap type A mandolin off Amazon (no truss rod) . I never played one but I have played the violin for quite a long time and always thought it would be nice to have one since the two are tuned the same way.

I adjusted the bridge so that the octaves were in tune and that's pretty much all I did to it.

Now, it might be because I've never played the mandolin before but I find it quite hard to press on the frets enough for it to sound right, it kind of hurts. I only have a callus on my index finger, nothing on the rest of them, so that could be the real issue, but I can fit a guitar 0.7mm pick in the first fret quite easily, it would fall down if I stopped holding it, so that makes me think there might be something I need to adjust.

It might also be because everybody says that the strings that come with the mandolin are bad. I also bought some d'addario ej62 light strings just in case. But I don't want to replace them if nothing is wrong with the stock ones.

Other than that, I'm using this 0.7mm guitar pick for my mandolin, it's this ok? Or maybe I need a different kind of pick?

Thanks everyone

Default Re: Does my mandolin need some kind of adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by Languagemaniac View Post
    Hi, I just bought a cheap type A mandolin off Amazon (no truss rod) . I never played one but I have played the violin for quite a long time and always thought it would be nice to have one since the two are tuned the same way.

I adjusted the bridge so that the octaves were in tune and that's pretty much all I did to it.

Now, it might be because I've never played the mandolin before but I find it quite hard to press on the frets enough for it to sound right, it kind of hurts. I only have a callus on my index finger, nothing on the rest of them, so that could be the real issue, but I can fit a guitar 0.7mm pick in the first fret quite easily, it would fall down if I stopped holding it, so that makes me think there might be something I need to adjust.

It might also be because everybody says that the strings that come with the mandolin are bad. I also bought some d'addario ej62 light strings just in case. But I don't want to replace them if nothing is wrong with the stock ones.

Other than that, I'm using this 0.7mm guitar pick for my mandolin, it's this ok? Or maybe I need a different kind of pick?

Thanks everyone
    1. Most players of A and F style mandolins tend to use a somewhat thicker pick than .7mm. I use .73 Ultex sharps, but I play non A and F mandolins. Many folks use 1-3mm picks, often way more rounded than I would ever use.

2. Although pressing 2 metal string on a fretboard is tougher on the fingers than fingering a single violin string on a fretless neck, you may be having trouble with the action height at the first fret.

Many inexpensive fretted instruments come from the factory with the nut action set a bit high. You'll need to adjust the depth of the nut slots to make the action play at its best. It sounds like yours could use a little work.

3. Often the strings on budget instruments are not the finest. If the windings are still good, you might use these strings to do a rough setup, but you will want to use "better" strings and do a final adjustment.

Best of luck, and I hope the folks that specialize in A and F mandolins offer their insight.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Hi, thank you for your comment, I will take a look at the nut...

If your 0.7 mm pick slips freely between the first fret and string, it sounds as though your action at the nut is too high. Rob Meldrum has a free setup guide talked about on the cafe with specific details on complete setup including bridge and nut. Hope this helps.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...up-rob-meldrum
    Dan Scullin
    Louisville, KY

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dscullin For This Useful Post:

That's good to know, I'm reading it now. Thank you very much! I knew something was wrong