Thread: Binding methods

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Binding methods

So I was looking into doing my binding, and found this method on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5rkKOOyiA

I notice it looks like he is using a wood binding (maybe)... will this method work with plastic binding?

I have this type: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...c-binding.html ... Will this method work with this type of binding?

What is your preferred method for doing bindings?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Binding methods

I've used that method on steel string guitars, and it can work great, but I wouldn't use it with wood that is going to be stained, because the thin CA soaks into the wood and can/will prevent the wood from accepting stain. Some people have also had problems with CA turning spruce yellow over time. I've never had that particular problem, but the danger is there. It's probably smart to seal spruce with thin shellac ahead of time.

I do use this method for all my fretboard, headstock overlays (before gluing to the headstock), and pickguard binding, where I'm gluing celluloid to ebony. It works wonders for those applications, and you don't have to tape the binding in place, you can just hold it with your fingers for a few seconds while you add a drop of CA. I wouldn't use any other method for binding ebony parts.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amowry For This Useful Post:

If you use wood or worse, that fiber based binding that is basically carburetor gasket material, it will swell a few thousandths in small areas that will be visible. Add to that, there is something about CA glue and paper based binding tape that turns into a miserable hard mess.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    If you use wood or worse,
    Wood is worse for using CA? I wouldn't have though that. I've only used celluloid so far but I want to try wood one of these days.

Oops, it appears I have tried wood bindings, at least that's what it looks like in my avatar. That was a long time ago and that mandolin has been re-topped and then chewed by mice. It's in the queue.
    Richard Hutchings

I use wood for all my binding and purfling. The main problem is with the fiber based purflings- the not wood not plastic flexible and easy to cut black gasket material that most of the suppliers sell. They expand approx. .003", which is noticeable to the eye. The expansion is fast and so is the curing of the glue, so you can get irregular ripples. If you use hot hide glue with the same material, there is an even swelling and then and a gradual curing so that it balances out.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Well, I'll be using ABS plastic... assuming that will be fine James?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

8. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post: