Thread: ID help for this mystery machine please

Default ID help for this mystery machine please

I’ve had this mandolin for about 25 years. Bought it at an estate auction where most of the old fellows stuff was quite vintage even at that time. Never really played it more then a few hours. This is the condition I bought it in.
    I’m estimating this to be 1940’s?
    Unfortunately there is no markings anywhere, so I’m hoping someone might recognize it. Any info would be awesome! Thx.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	187637

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	147 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	187634

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	381.8 KB 
ID:	187636

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	187635
    Last edited by Krazkayaker; Jul-27-2020 at 11:17pm. Reason: spelling errors

Default Re: ID hlpe for this mystery machine please

I would also be curious as to tis value as well. Just too bad the headstock logo is missing. Perhaps the shape of that glue reside may tweak an idea?

Default Re: ID help for this mystery machine please

Probably 1940s or 1950s and made somewhere in Europe.

Next!

Ray(T) is right about the origin, it's not the US. It's loosely modeled after a mandolin made by both Harmony and Regal in the US for decades and the real ones rarely get $100.00 on eBay. I'd put it in the 50's. Play it and enjoy it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here is a 1930s version of the type- helpfully marked as being made in Czechoslovakia. You can tell by the tuners and metal bridge, that it is 1930s and it was probably made to be sold by a British dealer in the Empire- the tropics- which normally means a plywood construction! Excelsior, is better known as Britain's first motorcycle maker- producing some hot racing motorcycles in the 1930s but I don't suppose their lawyers were concerned by any brand confusion!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-and...IAAOSwMkRe3qB~

Just to erase any confusion, do you think those mandolins came out of the same factory in the same time frame? I mean other than being almost totally different they are kind of the same body shape.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I think the tuners on the subject mandolin are original and they appear to be 1950s or even 1960s- the buttons are in two pieces and the units themselves appear to be better quality than many you see. The Czechoslovakian mandolin has what are probably German made tuners with the circular celluloid buttons with the metal from the shaft protruding which is early 1930s or earlier. They could be from the same factory but I think there is more than 20 years between them in age. The tropical label blurb is typical of the pre-war era wen the European empires were still intact. You can see this mentioned in the 1930s Hofner catalogues- back when Hofner was based in Schonbach, Czechoslovakia and the copy was printed in English for that big market that was the British Empire as Britain itself was not a large maker of mandolins or guitars- very small- banjos being big business in the UK.

8. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Thanks folks. You seem to know your stuff. I always seem to have better mojo when I know the history of an instrument I play. Appreciate the speedy response.

I agree with the folks who commented already. It does bear resemblance to some lower-end Levin (Swedish) mandolins from the 1940s-50s, but they didn't make this one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ok. How about this one to add to the confusion? https://youtu.be/bn8ayP6aKrc

Had a better look. Similar style but not the quality of a mid Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Krazkayaker View Post
    Ok. How about this one to add to the confusion? https://youtu.be/bn8ayP6aKrc
    No confusion. That is our MC member Martin Jonas playing a recent American made mandolin by a company currently called Big Muddy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is another German or Czech mandolin- tuners suggest early 1930s, that is very similar in the body shape that sold on eBay in the UK the other day.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...p2047675.l2557