Thread: Strap Recommendation for A-style

Question Strap Recommendation for A-style

Hello friends, I'm wondering if you could point me to a good strap for an A-style. I recently picked up a Waterloo and am unimpressed with Walker & Williams strap I bought from Amazon - too thick (though it does fit under the strings at head stock), has a buckle I have to be mindful of to keep from whacking the instrument, and I have to unbuckle it to put the mando in its case, and the strap doesn't really fit in the case with the instrument well.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

What I'm looking for would be one designed for headstock attachment and light or thin enough that I don't have to remove it to put the mando back in its case (I'm not a meticulous person). I have a braided leather one for my F-5 which I liked a lot, but it is designed for that and not long enough to reach a head stock.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Peace,

Chris

Default Re: Strap Recommendation for A-style

Quote Originally Posted by ccollins46 View Post
    Hello friends, I'm wondering if you could point me to a good strap for an A-style. I recently picked up a Waterloo and am unimpressed with Walker & Williams strap I bought from Amazon - too thick (though it does fit under the strings at head stock), has a buckle I have to be mindful of to keep from whacking the instrument, and I have to unbuckle it to put the mando in its case, and the strap doesn't really fit in the case with the instrument well.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

What I'm looking for would be one designed for headstock attachment and light or thin enough that I don't have to remove it to put the mando back in its case (I'm not a meticulous person). I have a braided leather one for my F-5 which I liked a lot, but it is designed for that and not long enough to reach a head stock.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Peace,

Chris
    I like Legacystraps. They come in 3/4 and 1 inch widths and there are a ton of patterns to pick from

A long leather shoe string - either as a single strip or DIY braided. Has worked on all my mandolins.

I never did understand why they make straps with buckles; they’re designed to scratch any instrument they’re attached to. I suppose it depends on how much of a cheapskate you are. There’s a firm in the UK (Pinegrove Leather) which have made most of mine but they’re not particularly cheap. At the other end of the scale, yiu could look out for a slim leather belt at your local charity shop (thrift store!?). Unfortunately, thinner belts are usually made for women who tend to be smaller than men and consequently are often too short but you could extend it, as John suggests, with a leather bootlace.

I’d suggest srewing on a button at the heel but we’ve been there before and war is likely to break out again

Blog Entries

Sounds like you would like a Lakota strap. I have three and they come in varied lengths and for A and F styles. Very comfortable and attractive appearance.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

6. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

FredK 

Cinghialetto is really nice. Very high quality, comfortable, customizable, with both round and flat braids available. Run by Massimo Gatti who's a tremendous player, a contributor here and bright light in the European bluegrass scene. Cinghialetto straps are advertised in the Cafe classifieds, used by Tim O'Brien, Joe K. Walsh and many others.

Great straps from great people - it's hard to find anything wrong with that. NFI on my part. Here's a link:http://www.cinghialettostraps.com/

Enjoy!
    Gavin Baird F4 & F5, Weber Octar, Gibson K-1, Guild D50, Martin D35, Yairi DY-84, etc...

Thank you ALL. I'll check 'em out!

Three more to check out:
    Bailey straps - Beautiful braided straps and comfortable, very well made
    Sully's straps - made of harness leather and very well made
    Long Hollow Leather straps - soft

A shameless plug for my company's mandolin straps: El Dorado. We make them and I personally use them on my two Collings mandolin and on my recently acquired Collings Mandola.

No buckles, friction length adjustment, "snake biting it's tail" front loop (which can either attach to the headstock of the A or under the fretboard if your A mando has a raised fretboard).

Moderator: feel free to delete this post if I've crossed a line.

Be well people. Keep making music.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAND-B MAND-K final.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	623.0 KB 
ID:	187540

Bill Bailey straps !! I have four mandolins and four Bailey straps !

Just bought a Cinghialetto, very happy with it. I installed a strap pin under the neck as I rather this alignment than around the head. Last mando I put the strap button on the back at the heel but decided to go for the side of the neck or heel this time.

These are the straps I use - I have two of them and love 'em - really nicely made, no metal bits to worry about either. Thin but strong, doesn't take up much space if left on your mandolin when in the case.

http://www.mandolinstrapsofmontana.com/411053386
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

All my staps are made from re-cycled leather belts from charity shops or converted from leather dog leads, I have one that was some sort of tack made from English leather, a button hole at either end, fitted my Paul Shippey perfectly.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Exclamation Re: Strap Recommendation for A-style

I was using the drawstring cord out of a hoodie with a few knots on the ends, and a spring cord-adjuster,
    but moved the cord & such over to my Face mask these days..

A Neotech one is on my Mix A5, it has a neck heel strap button, & a Jack/tail button..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just received one from Legacy. As Dave G says in the first post, they have a ton of designs. Lightweight and adjustable, they are designed to go around the headstock. As they are fabric rather than leather, with no metal parts, they won't scratch anything.

Judging from how neatly and carefully mine was packed, the gentleman who makes them takes great pride in his work. Big thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    These are the straps I use - I have two of them and love 'em - really nicely made, no metal bits to worry about either. Thin but strong, doesn't take up much space if left on your mandolin when in the case.

http://www.mandolinstrapsofmontana.com/411053386
    Alan Gelman makes great straps.... & it's cool to buy a strap from someone who is a mandolin player!....& a good guy too.

18. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Alan Gelman makes great straps.... & it's cool to buy a strap from someone who is a mandolin player!....& a good guy too.
    +1 on Alan Gelman's straps - I have two of them and love them!

20. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by billykatzz View Post
    A shameless plug for my company's mandolin straps: El Dorado.
    Those look really nice.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

23. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post: