Thread: Phil Crump & Paddy Burgin OM's - your experience

Default Phil Crump & Paddy Burgin OM's - your experience

Looking at both and both seem to be outstanding. If you have one can you share your experience please? Thank you.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Phil Crump & Paddy Burgin OM's - your experience

I have a 2001 Phil Crump OM III, and it is a really nice instrument. At 22 3/4", it is a bit of a stretch for my hands. It has something like a 4" + depth at the tail, and can be quite boom-ie, which I tamed by my string selection and change in my pick and poor picking habits. I am not an accomplished OM player, and came across this OM by chance, it was offered to me by my uncle who was helping a widow sell her late husband's instruments. I can say it is beautifully built, and has a great balanced sound (when others play it, ha!). The inlay on mine a a stunning abalone dragon, and I will be keeping this instrument for life.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

3. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Thank you Gary - I guess there are no other takers so I will do a follow up. I have arranged to have an OM built by Paddy. But I must say that both of the luthiers are outstanding communicators and very, very helpful during the decision process. I have no doubt that an instrument from either of them would be a lifetime keeper.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I think Phil's shop got pretty wiped out earlier this year by a terrible wind storm but rumor has it he is rebuilding. Also, I think he builds a shorter scale OM. Seems like a very genuine fellow and is well regarded out here on the left coast.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

If time has passed and you come across this thread looking for info, I am having a custom Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin built. Look under that description to find my review. The build will take a few months, so the review should post sometime in the last six months of 2020.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Well time did pass LOL and here is the review:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ghlight=burgin

In short, OMG it is AWESOME!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)