Thread: Mandolin identification and value

Question Mandolin identification and value

I'm looking for information about 2 mandolins that belonged to my deceased ex-husband. I have been unable to locate any info. The first one is an Ibanez acoustic electric. Looks like model #515. The second is an Abilene acoustic with a picture of a longhorn s horn above the name. I have more pictures if interested.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200722_151859.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	187500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200722_152129.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	573.6 KB 
ID:	187501

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Mandolin identification and value

These are Asian made budget grade instruments that are sold new at music stores for perhaps between $150 and $300. They appear to be in good condition. These mandolins are generally sold without hard cases, so the cases were probably added as extras, and help the resale value a tiny bit.

Default Re: Mandolin identification and value

Here's some discussion regarding a similar Ibanez. The body style is sometimes called "Venetian," and it's found on some older US instruments from Stromberg-Voisenet and Kay. Discussion on the Reddit forum mentions similar instruments labeled "Teisco," which was a fairly well-known Japanese label.

There are many instruments similar to the Abilene available for less than $200 on-line. As mentioned above, you do have good cases for both instruments, which could add perhaps $50 to their values. The Ibanez is a bit of a rarity, and might command a higher market value.

You won't find a great deal of specific information on these particular models; the Ibanez may well be older (1970's perhaps); the Abilene would be difficult to date, but it's very similar to a number of current Asian-made mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM