Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood identity question

Default Re: Wood identity question

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Hendrik - that is great, clarifying info - thank you so much. So burl is a characteristic of wood, not an actual type of wood? Seems that the staining tradition has changed over the years - don't see that now a days. Thanks again.
    A burl is a growth on a tree which is a response to injury or a fungus infection. They can be from a lot of different species but are more common in walnuts and redwoods. Maple can have burls as well. Birds eye is a similar pattern but is not a burl.

https://organicplantcarellc.com/what-is-a-burl/

Carl - that clarifies things a lot (for me and I suspect Joe as well). Thank you!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    My two main violins have back wood of quilted maple. (see attached) I posted it on another thread on the subject of these woods.
    Who made your violins, Jim? I've neber seen a design quite like that 'pointless' pair. ;-)

edit: I see from your link: Brooklyn made. Looking forward to learning more. B.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

There are some real wood experts here and I'm no expert. But I would not call this wood birds' eye. Interesting pattern however.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

[QUOTE=CarlM;1780828]A burl is a growth on a tree which is a response to injury or a fungus infection. They can be from a lot of different species but are more common in walnuts and redwoods. Maple can have burls as well. Birds eye is a similar pattern but is not a burl.
    Yup, burls are more like scars and cancerous growths. Years ago, attending a lecture on the latter, i lessened my appreciation for these out-of-control growths. However, since there are no grain regularities in burls, they make good stable objects, like bowls, as well as visual interest.
    I also would not immediately call the mandolin in question birdseye, but there is huge variety in these genetic sports. So as a generic, maybe, a catchall term.