Thread: Teacher recommendation for left hand technique

Default Teacher recommendation for left hand technique

Hi all, I have not been playing much in recent years (children will do that to you) and getting back to it I've decided my left (fretting) hand is really not doing what I want it to do.

I think my left arm/hand/wrist position has some problems and so if anybody can recommend a teacher who has really studied mandolin ergonomics (if that's a thing) and posture, and can diagnose / coach such online, I'd be grateful.

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Teacher recommendation for left hand technique

Hi rnjl, I would think any pro can take a look at your technique and give you pointers so pick someone whose playing you like and contact them for lessons. I know that in my experience at many camps, taking lessons, watching videos, etc they all have a basic philosophy of how to hold your left hand while playing so that you are efficient in your playing while not setting youself up for issues down the road with tendonitis, etc.

For me it’s mostly getting the hands synced up so play exercises or tunes/songs slowly listening for tone, volume, is there any pain, etc. I’m sure others will chime in with good advice and glad you are able to play again.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Look for Pete Martin. I think he has an ad here on the cafe. He specifically teaches about ergonomics. NFI.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

4. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Mike Marshall has videos on technique. Also, online lessons.

My mandolin teacher, Kaden Hurst, also does Skype lessons. He stays on my ergonomics. Skype might actually be best for ergonomics because he is seeing me straight on in the camera.

Really helpful thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Barnett View Post
    Mike Marshall has videos on technique. Also, online lessons.

My mandolin teacher, Kaden Hurst, also does Skype lessons. He stays on my ergonomics. Skype might actually be best for ergonomics because he is seeing me straight on in the camera.
    One of Mike Marshall's super helpful recommendations to get a sense for general left-hand technique is to hold your mandolin up to your chin pretending it is a violin and see how your fingers naturally fall at an angle in relation to the strings. Much of good left-hand violin technique is a good guide to the mandolin as well; your left hand is better served to approximate violin technique more than guitar technique (although playing 3 to 4 note chords naturally crosses over into guitar-technique territory).

In addition to all the usual advice a good teacher is likely to give you, I have benefitted much recently from many interviews I've read with guitarist Julian Lage on ergonomics. Most everyone agrees that tension is an enemy, but often people focus only on the right hand in regard to tension. He suggested working on using the smallest amount of pressure necessary to fret a note clearly with the left hand. I have started consciously working on this and it is amazing how little pressure is needed when your technique is good, and I have found I get much less fatigued playing, can play faster, etc. when I lighten my touch on the left hand. Essentially I am working to counter-act the formula I've created: hard grip = clean note.

It is not surprising, since they are human, but I've found with advice on technique and ergonomics that even pros don't always practice what they preach, and consider the topic to different degrees.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Yes, Brandon, this is what I've observed too which is why I framed the request as one for someone who <has> considered the topic to a good degree. Thank you all for your suggestions.

It is not surprising, since they are human, but I've found with advice on technique and ergonomics that even pros don't always practice what they preach, and consider the topic to different degrees.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Flynn View Post
    One of Mike Marshall's super helpful recommendations to get a sense for general left-hand technique is to hold your mandolin up to your chin pretending it is a violin and see how your fingers naturally fall at an angle in relation to the strings. Much of good left-hand violin technique is a good guide to the mandolin as well; your left hand is better served to approximate violin technique more than guitar technique (although playing 3 to 4 note chords naturally crosses over into guitar-technique territory).
    His wife, Caterina, teaches an entirely different approach, holding the left hand parallel to the strings. Violin technique comes from the need to support the neck with the left hand. There's no getting away from that on violin, but on mandolin there are other ways to support the instrument. Of course many fine players play it violin style. Mike Marshall's hands are monstrous, he's not a good choice for ergonomic modeling, unless someone's hands are very large.

Yes, hand size does make a difference, I suppose. Once as a college student I had a chance to hang out with Red Rector for a bit. He was actually a really good guitar player but showed me his hands and said, with these hands (not large) I'm never going to be the top flatpicker, but they're fine for mandolin.

I don't actually know what "holding the left hand parallel to the strings" means, but I'll look around and try to find out. In any event I took the advice of a previous poster and reached out Pete Martin who uses the word "ergonomics" convincingly enough that we'll start talking and see where it goes. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    His wife, Caterina, teaches an entirely different approach, holding the left hand parallel to the strings. Violin technique comes from the need to support the neck with the left hand. There's no getting away from that on violin, but on mandolin there are other ways to support the instrument. Of course many fine players play it violin style. Mike Marshall's hands are monstrous, he's not a good choice for ergonomic modeling, unless someone's hands are very large.