Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jams with friends during covid

Default Re: jams with friends during covid

I've been getting together with a friend at home every 2 weeks throughout the pandemic. As the time drags on, with no end in sight, we do the precautions, and keep to a small circle of friends, having decided to trust each other, or risk it, acknowledging that there can be no guarantees. There's no opportunity to meet anyone new, unfortunately, and the others we know locally, have chosen to stay home.

Smile Re: jams with friends during covid

3 of us got together sunday ... sat the appropriate distance apart ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Honestly, I think it's the singing in a group setting that raises risk significantly, even outdoors. And personally, I can't not sing if folks are playing a song I know that needs a harmony part (which in my mind is all of them). I jump in and sing without thinking, and boom, I've been seduced into raising everybody else's risk.

I feel like I'm pretty much back to normal; I've been working out and walking for a couple weeks now. I generally eat healthy, sleep well, have less stress and am probably more fit than most 61 year-olds. I gotta think that played a part in how mild my symptoms were. The only thing that seems to be lingering is a very slight metallic taste and a not-quite-100% sense of smell, but both of those continue to improve. Hopefully this will turn out to be a Get Out Of Jail Free card, at least in the short run.

I would be remiss not to express my heartfelt gratitude for this community: in addition to the books I had in my house, this community was a godsend for my mental outlook during self-isolation. This place does more good in the world than maybe you know.
    Clark Beavans

4. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

Blog Entries

Ironically, just after your original post here my son (who is single and lives in his own home in a nearby town) reported that he had received a positive test result, after he had tested about 10 days earlier. He's been in self-isolation for 15 days, since he knew he was exposed, and the doc says he can go back to work Monday, although since he's a bartender in California he won't be going back to work anytime soon.

My son experienced absolutely no symptoms, so we're wondering if the test results were a false-positive, or if he's just one of those asymptomatic people. We're overjoyed that he hasn't been sick, but like him, we're scratching our heads about the circumstances.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I have gotten together with my two band mates twice since the thing started. Both times outdoors with quite a bit of distancing.

Felt so good to just play music with another human...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

I meet with two friends just about every week now. We took 3 months off when all the covid started but got back together a few weeks ago. No social distancing. We are all retired.

I'm okay with it outdoors, if everyone wears masks and we distance 6' or more. Of course, no physical contact. Been jamming with a couple of guitar players. Goes without saying, no loud banjos.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kammerzell View Post
    I'm okay with it outdoors, if everyone wears masks and we distance 6' or more. Of course, no physical contact. Been jamming with a couple of guitar players. Goes without saying, no loud banjos.
    I've heard banjos are super spreaders of loud noises.

10. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Our group has plans to try a get-together next weekend. We're allowed to group (with masks and social distancing) outside only and it's at a private house with a back patio. A couple of us are lucky enough to be living with/married to other musicians and many of us play instruments that won't be affected by masks -- the whistles and flutes, however, I don't know ... many of us are older or have pre-existing conditions, at least two are nurses who have been pretty much in the middle of the pandemic. We've been lucky here in CT, our peak was months ago, our numbers are pretty good and most people don't seem to have a problem with wearing masks. We'll see how it goes -- or if it goes.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

bass player gone mando

setting up for an outdoor practice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0973.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	187361
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    But we like to play and we can't keep our lives on hold forever over this.
    This is how I am feeling right now. I am an "essential employee" (healthcare provider,) I have been tested (required by our governor,) and was negative. I am over 65 with asthma (but otherwise healthy,) so I am a bit above average risk. I have made a decision not to live my life in fear, but also do not take unnecessary risks. Music is necessary to my life, and so I must have music to make life worth living. If we give up everything that makes life worthwhile to us, is it really worth it? Just be careful, and don't take stupid chances.

14. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Here in Toronto four of us have begun to get together every couple of weeks to play old time. In the back yard, distanced, and we're not doing any singing. All of us are serious about precautions. The real problem will be the fall when it gets too cold. I suspect that we'll stop meeting. I don't think any of us will be comfortable about meeting indoors.
    Cary Fagan

Getting together once a week for several weeks now. 4 or 5 of us, outside on a porch. We stay several feet apart but are not fanatical, and don't get a tape measure out. I have personally decided to live my life as normally as possible. It is wonderful to be making music with others again.
    '24 Gibson F-5g, NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O, Northfield F5S, Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave, Home built F5 (1995)

Blog Entries

My wife is a violin instructor at a well known music school and she was asked to conduct the class of about 15 people indoors this fall. The school moved the class to a small auditorium and they 'filter the air' with some kind of new machine that is supposed to kill viruses. Despite all of the other procedures like wearing face masks, sitting far apart, having no family or friends present, few or no people in the hallways, going from 1 1/2 hours to 60 minutes or less, hurried setup and take down/exiting etc. It is pretty weird and unappealing.

Now if we could only get them to fit into our back yard...
    Last edited by DougC; Jul-21-2020 at 5:49pm. Reason: needs some humor
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile