Thread: Carlo loveri bowl back

Default Carlo loveri bowl back

I have been given a Carlo Loveri mandolin as part payment for a fiddle repair, the neck is detached and someone has 'had a go' at repairing it with what looks like 1/8" thick resin glue. I have no interest in repairing it but would be pleased to pass it on to someone who would be happy to put the work in. There are a couple of clean belly cracks, and the top of the head has lost some veneer; apart from that it is in good shape. Any takers?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Carlo loveri bowl back

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Skelton View Post
    I have been given a Carlo Loveri mandolin as part payment for a fiddle repair, the neck is detached and someone has 'had a go' at repairing it with what looks like 1/8" thick resin glue. I have no interest in repairing it but would be pleased to pass it on to someone who would be happy to put the work in. There are a couple of clean belly cracks, and the top of the head has lost some veneer; apart from that it is in good shape. Any takers?
    Hi Charlie,
    I've had a go at trying to repair the necks on Italian bowlbacks, and you are right, it is a very tricky proposition due to how they were constructed and the sequence of assembly.
    I'm always up for learning more learning through trying to raise a mandolin Lazarus from the dead.

Where are you located? I'd enjoy taking you up on your offer if it didn't cost me a fortune to ship it here to Texas.

Can you PM with some photos?

Thanks,

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig