Thread: 5 string tenor

Default 5 string tenor

I have been commissioned to build a five string tenor guitar. The buyer originally asked for a 1.5625" nut but that seemed wide to me. I was thinking between 1.375 and 1.5". Anyone presently play one and would be willing to share the width of their nut? Tuning is FCGDA. Scale length is 23".

Default Re: 5 string tenor

Here are three samples:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArrowNut1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	187207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArrowNut2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	187208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArrowNut3.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	187209

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djweiss For This Useful Post:

I assume these are yours? Do you have a preference? That last one seems pretty wide. Is it a converted 3/4 guitar? The ones I have seen with that wide of spacing tend to be conversions.

They are all mine, and all built by Paul Lestock of Arrow Guitars/Mandolins.

The widest one is an arch-top, the other ebony fretboard is a flat-top, and the maple fretboard is a solid body electric. I don't mind the spread, the guitars are setup well and play easily, and I can bounce around each of them without worrying about the widths. For what it's worth, the arch-top is the oldest of the bunch by at least 5 years, so it's possible that Paul started reducing the overall nut width in general? I never specified those details when discussing the build(s).

Teacher, repair person

You can discuss it once more with your customer, but don't try to influence him too much. Then let him come to his own decision and build what he asks for.
    He might prefer wide string spacing.

Is this going to be acoustic or electric? (Did you offer him the one that's in your shop now?)
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wide spacing tends to be preferable when playing a lot of fingerstyle. Electric plectrum play I tend to favor closer strings.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Is this going to be acoustic or electric? (Did you offer him the one that's in your shop now?)
    Electric. I did not but I will. I completely forgot about that. I'll let you know what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    You can discuss it once more with your customer, but don't try to influence him too much. Then let him come to his own decision and build what he asks for.
    He might prefer wide string spacing.
    We discussed it quite a bit. He isn't happy with the one he has now which is 1.625" wide. Its a 3/4 guitar minus one string.