Thread: Donations to the Cafe

Default Donations to the Cafe

I apologize if this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Also, if it doesn't belong here.

Does it matter to the Cafe if a donation is made through PayPal vs. a credit card? Does the Cafe pay a fee for either one? And if so, is it a percentage or a simple fee? If the latter, then the Cafe keeps more of the donation for, say, a one-time $120 donation, rather than getting a continuing $10 per month. Or am I wrong?

And when one makes a donation after selling an instrument, do you folks at your end know that John Moneybags (the actual person who just sent in the donation) is really Stringbeans (the Cafe moniker)?

Thanks.
    Cornelius Morris

Blog Entries

Default Re: Donations to the Cafe

We don't accept credit cards so do not have a single one on file for anyone. No desire to go down that road. PayPal charges a modest fee for a donation but it's just part of business, and it's a sliding fee. The less the donation, the larger the fee PayPal keeps, so we even get the occasional donation of 25 cents which... wait for it... PayPal takes all of it. 50 cent donation, PayPal takes 31 cents. $10 PayPal keeps 59 cents. And so on. If you want to reward PayPal for their excellent work instead of us, make lots of tiny donations. There are numerous PayPal fee calculators on the web to see what their charges are. I use this one: https://thefeecalculator.com/

We don't track payments back to the Forum because it's not a place for selling though it's technically possible but is of little if any value. But easy to link to those using the Classifieds and that's what we watch.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Default Re: Donations to the Cafe

Thanks. Useful to know that the Cafe gets more money from one chunky donation than from lots of small continuing ones. In addition to a donation that I have made from a recent sale, and one that I am about to make from a sale completed today, I had thought about doing an ongoing low monthly donation. Now I think I'll just send in what would be a year's worth at once, so that PayPal gets less and the Cafe gets more--and up front.

In appreciation for all the great stuff I've learned here, and the great people I've met here over the years.
    Cornelius Morris

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornelius Morris For This Useful Post: