Thread: Wide Nut Mandolin

Default Wide Nut Mandolin

New member here, hello. I’m looking at purchasing a new Collings F style mandolin and this particular model has the wide nut option. 1 3/16” width vs standard 1 1/8”. I know it’s going to be subtle, 5% difference. I’m curious to other users feedback on this.
    I think this would actually be better for me being a big guy but wouldn’t know until I dropped the coin for it as it’s not local and would be an online purchase.

Thanks for any user feedback.

Gary

Default Re: Wide Nut Mandolin

Gary: what mandolin are you playing these days? 1/16" difference may not be that noticeable. I know that some folks do prefer even wider nut widths. Personally, 1-1/8" is perfect for me. I have one mandolin and have played others that measure 1-1/4" and that takes much getting used to.

I don't know if you are buying from a dealer but most will honor a 48 hour approval period. Try it and if it doesn't feel right to you you just pay the additional shipping to get it back to the seller. If the seller does not offer that, I would not risk losing that much money and would go elsewhere. Collings are very available all over especially online.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I would try someone's wide nut mandolin and see if it makes any difference at all to you.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Being a big guy myself, I can't live without the wide nut.

It alows me to play without my figer hitting/muting adjacent strings.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I have small hands and I play a Collings MT2 with a wide nut. For me the biggest adjustment was the soft V neck profile. It didnt take long to get used to it. But going from a 1-1/8 to the 1-3/16 was the lesser adjustment. I do find chords slightly easier on the slimmer neck.

Agree try one out.
    Last edited by HighLonesomeF5; Jul-08-2020 at 6:50pm. Reason: Mistake

Thanks, Jim. The mandolin is being sold at a Collings dealer and they assured me I had 72 hours to try it and if I didn’t like it I could return for a FULL refund. No lose situation. The Collings get great reviews. Owned a Collings City Limits a few years ago and it was a very nice LP style guitar.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly what I was thinking. Appreciate it!