Thread: Anyone know of any nickel-free mando strings?

Default Anyone know of any nickel-free mando strings?

Hey all, so I'm looking for any mandolin string suggestions that don't contain nickel, I'm allergic to nickel so my string choices are pretty limited. I use Elixer PBs on my guitars and I'm normally pretty happy with them on most guitars, but their mandolin strings don't sound too good to me. I just bought a 1999 Flatiron Festival F that had a new set of D'Addario strings in the case, and since I didn't have any Elixirs on hand I put them on the mandolin. WOW! The difference between it and my other mandolins strung with Elixir is no contest! I kinda always knew when I first put the Elixirs on my new mandolin I lost some tone, but now I see how much I actually lost! So I need to find some good sounding (for bluegrass style) strings that contain no nickel. Any suggestions welcome,

Default Re: Anyone know of any nickel-free mando strings?

If you like the sound of the D'Addario strings then why not use those? There are lots of phosphor bronze strings and AFAIK they never contain nickel. All the major stringmakers have PB strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    If you like the sound of the D'Addario strings then why not use those? There are lots of phosphor bronze strings and AFAIK they never contain nickel. All the major stringmakers have PB strings.
    The problem isn't with the wound PB strings, its the High E and A strings that are pure nickel that break me out, otherwise I would use those. Even the frets on mandolin break me out, moreso than on guitar, which I think is because with the frets being so close together I touch them more than I do on guitar (which is why my main mandolin has stainless steel frets).

Redacted.

I believe the plain D'Addario strings are steel. They sell separate packs of pure nickel strings. You can certainly check their website.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Mapes has stainless steel strings. I realize that some stainless has nickel, it's usually less than 1%. They might be able to tell you about the composition.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

In a quick search I see that Ernie Ball states on their site that their strings are nickel and cobalt free. And both Ernie Ball and Curt Mangan state that their plain strings which they use on all instruments are "tin plated high carbon steel."

If you like the way the D'Addario strings sound I would contact them and ask them what the composition of their PB strings—both the wrapped and plain—are. Their customer service I have found to be excellent. In fact most of the string companies will give you the info you need if you just ask. That would be your best bet. There is lots of knowledge here but the companies know what metals are in their strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

GHS is the same with the plain strings, they are a quality carbon steel. I would assume like Ernie Ball they are tin plated
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!