Thread: Four Finger Chop Chords and the Pain!

Default Four Finger Chop Chords and the Pain!

I've been working a lot lately on my chop chords and, while I still have a ton of room for improvement, over the past few weeks, I have made some progress. So, I'm in my late 50's and I do have a small amount of arthritis is my hands. But, as I'm working through a song only playing the chop accompaniment, after a while my hands will start to cramp and really hurt. Does this happen to anyone else? What are some ideas regarding how to solve or minimize this? Thanks!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Four Finger Chop Chords and the Pain!

Better living through Chemistry!
    and practice.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I like the sound I get from 3 finger chop chords better. They are also easier and move just as well. They are also much less fatiguing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .… 1. Make sure that you have a good setup on your instrument. 2. Don't over grip. 3. Use a set with .11 for the E string.4. Make sure that you are holding your mandolin at the correct angle to get the best use out of your grip ie. what aligns your hand with the neck. 5. Relax …. physical tension is bad long term. 6. Warm your hands up in hot water before you start to play. Not long enough to soften your calluses just enough to relax your tendons and joints. Play on! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I like the sound I get from 3 finger chop chords better. They are also easier and move just as well. They are also much less fatiguing.
    That's damn intriguing but how are you muting the unplayed string...just not striking it, I assume?
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    That's damn intriguing but how are you muting the unplayed string...just not striking it, I assume?
    Yes, and pinky can lightly mute the e string as you play three finger chords on bottom three courses.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

The muted string is the E. I fret for a G chord---4th fret on the G string, 5th fret on the D string, 2ond fret on the A string and mute the E. You can use a C chord the same way. Take the easy C chord and add the 5th fret on the G string and mute the E string. Now you have a walkable C,D, etc. The G is also walkable up the neck. These work just like the 4 string chords, but are easier and I like the chop better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    3. Use a set with .11 for the E string.
    But 11.5 sounds so much better
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I only play three finger chop chords. The hands are just too old to stretch as they should. Interestingly, I know people who play two finger chop chords and mostly, no one really knows the difference. The real trick is to get that percussive sound (at least that’s what my instructor says ��).

I use my pinky to mute the E on three finger chords, but I know some pickers can do this with the flesh at the base of the index finger. The latter doesn’t work as well for me...

As for the four finger chords, you could also try moving your hand up the neck 2 or 3 frets where the stretch isn’t as far, then gradually work back down the neck as you gain strength.

Make every other measure an arpeggio to give your hand a rest. The ears also like variety.
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk

Mike Story

I agree with what UsuallyPicking said. You don't need to put a vice-grip on the strings to get the chop if that's what you're doing. In fact, there is a great exercise where you try to see how little pressure you can apply to the strings to get a good tone. Less pressure equals less stress and strain on your fingers. Good luck.

Mike

You can honestly get 90+% of the sound of a 4 finger G chop by just using the two low strings and being careful not to hit the high strings.
    If you play it with your second and third finger then you can easily switch to D by dropping your second finger note back one fret to the first finger (G to F#).
    Slide that move up and down to any key.
    Unless you're a hardcore "ain't no part of nothin" Monroe fanatic, that'll serve you just fine!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Agree with Drew, no need to stress out or cause yourself injury trying to get the 4 finger chop chord when there are options, many pros discuss alternatives and don't use the big chop chord for many reasons.

I guess its nice to have as an option but I generally use the 2 low strings or a 3 finger chop or even inversions like the 245 for D or 2245 for A and just plain ol’ 45xx for the G - I don’t even have to move when playing Whiskey Before Breakfast as I do 422 for the Em in the 2nd part..

Another alternative is use 2 finger chords like 0023 and learn how to mute...lots of videos out there with pros doing this...here’s one with Adam Steffey using a 2 finger G right off the bat and muting the strings for that chop sound.

If you haven't already I’d suggest taking a lesson with a pro whose style you like. They can give you options and tips as to how to get that sound.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

I avoid four finger chop chords where they provide no advantage. I play three finger chords (one open string) and I can chop them, and I play double stops.

My theory is that I am not responsible for every darn note in the chord, especially in an ensemble where some guitar or banjo will likely play that note anyway. Nobody has ever, ever, ever noticed. Nobody has ever come up to me saying "I didn't hear that C# in your F# minor chord."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....