Thread: hand held recorder

Default hand held recorder

Hi folks
    I'm looking for advice on buying a hand held recorder.
    Would like to record,.. say my voice,.. then go in and add whatever. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: hand held recorder

Well there are two brands that keep popping up with good reviews and comments for small recorders. Those brands are Tascam and Zoom. I use a Tascam ecause it has plug ins for an external mic. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds Many people like this Zoom
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have used the older model Zoom H2 for years. The mics are fantastic - really amazing sound quality, and much better than you would expect from a small recorder like this. It also doubles as a USB mic, and I have been using it for all my work Zoom teleconferences (just noticed the name similarity). The newer H2N is an update - it has a speaker. You can get a used H2 for less than $100.

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

When you talk about "going in and adding whatever.." are you thinking about multitrack recording, overdubbing another layer on to your existing track. I use the Tascam DR-05 and like it a lot, but those small recorders are maybe not so good for multitracking. I believe that some of the more sophisticated models can multitrack, but on the Tascam I will uplod my tracks to my computer and do any mixing, etc from there. Check the specifications of any model you might be thinking about.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

The Tascam DP-006 sits in a nice sweet spot between the small portables and the larger multi-tracks. The mics are great, and you can export to WAV (for a DAW) or mix and finish in the box. Has a threaded insert for a tri-pod mount, too.

I have both Tascams and a Zoom both will produce very good recordings but I think the Zoom recorder is easier to learn to use. If you do your homework online you'll make the right choice. There are a lot of youtube videos on the using the different models.

I have an Olympus LS-11 that I got about 10 years ago for recording gigs. It's proven very reliable and I still use it to this day. The built-in mics are good but there is a stereo mic input and line input too. Not multitrack. Output is WAV.

If you're looking for multitrack, there's tons of free/cheap software options such as Garage Band, Audacity, Ardour, etc...
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

FWIW, a bandmate recently recorded one of our practices with his phone (not sure what model) and he made copies on CDr's for us and it sounded like it was recorded in a studio! All he did was lay his phone on top of a table, no mics or anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    FWIW, a bandmate recently recorded one of our practices with his phone (not sure what model) and he made copies on CDr's for us and it sounded like it was recorded in a studio! All he did was lay his phone on top of a table, no mics or anything special.
    Thank you everyone for the good and timely advise. I figured I could count on you guys.