Thread: Bruce of Taiwan

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

I wanted a nice, although not expensive, travel mandolin and decided it might as well be an oval hole for a different sound than my two F5s. I had seen these mandolins on e-bay made in Taiwan by a fellow named Bruce. I waited until I saw a spruce and maple instrument I liked and bought the one on the left. Even the day it arrived I was not expecting a whole lot except a decently made and finished instrument I could pack around with me with little concern of something happening to it. Well.....I opened the case and was shocked! Inside a very nice case was an instrument with fit and finish as good as the Rigel I owned. The inlay work is absolutely stunning and most people who have seen it think it is simply a work of art. Now, with all this beauty you would think I’ll now tell you it sounded like #$%@&. Nope, it sounded very, very good for a brand new instrument. I put on a F style brass tailpiece, available from Bruce, and drilled an extra hole in it to accomodate an endpin. I put an endpin up at the back end of the neck, made an ebony bridge, slapped on TI strings, a ToneGuard and played the heck out of it for a month. It just kept getting better tone, more sustain and with the 1&1/4” wide neck, just a joy to sit around and pick on. I then thought about telling all the nice folks at the Cafe about this buy. However, it occured to me I might like one of his instruments with rosewood back and sides and opening my big fat mouth prematurely might cost me more at auction. So I got the instrument on the right this week. It is just as nice and while the tone is still a bit raw, it seems to be improving daily. I have two REALLY nice instruments for a total investment of slightly over $500 and a bit of my time making the bridges, drilling and mounting the tailpieces and such. I have no financial interest in missleading anyone, nor do I really care that they don’y have a “famous” name on the headstock. I am just one very happy camper.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmandosweb.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	10367  

Hi John,

I've been looking at Bruce's mandos on Ebay and might just pick one up for the same reasons as you - want something I can drag to work and travel and not worry if it shows the wear.

BTW - do the side "vent holes" seem to have any effect on sound? #Are the woods solid or laminate?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

Brian,
    The woods are solid and the "vent holes" make the instrument sound very loud to me. However, my wife says that from ten feet in front of the instrument it has the same volume as my best F5.
    If you want to hear a sound sample, contact me at: johnw@inreach.com and I'll send you a small mp3 to give you an idea of it's tone.
    John