Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Default Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Quote Originally Posted by killntime View Post
    I put a set of the Thomasticks on a few days ago per all of the recommendations. Biggest pro for me is that they are very easy on the fingers. I have only been playing a few months so my fingers we’re getting torn up pretty bad. The sound is good, however I’m not sure that I like all of the volume that I lost. I guess I didn’t get Wowed as much as I thought I would for the price.

FYI, this was on a Pava Pro A model.
    Don't mistake brightness for volume. They have a darker tone than many other strings.

I'm about to splurge on a set of viola strings (cheaper than my last set, but more than my Helicore standby). I might go for it and finally give these a try for my mandolin. They're less than a cheap (but not painful) set of viola strings so YOLO, right? My question is... I JUST switched to an oval hole. It came with the same strings my starter mandolin came with, but I discovered and fell in love with the D'addario nickel-bronze strings on my previous f-hole instrument. Should I try strings I'm used to first to gauge how the string translates to the new instrument, or just go for it while I'm online ordering the viola strings?

"Does TI make any strings for an octave with a 22" scale? I know they make mandola strings but haven't seen any octaves listed."

Rdeane - I believe the top four strings of this $100 (yep, that's right!) lute string set will work with that 22" scale length. Quite the price though.

https://m.juststrings.com/thomastik-infeldlute.html
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Oct-17-2020 at 9:53pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)
    2018 Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia
    2020 Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin - in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    Does TI make any strings for an octave with a 22" scale? I know they make mandola strings but haven't seen any octaves listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Rdeane - I believe the top four strings of this $100 (yep, that's right!) lute string set will work with that 22" scale length. Quite the price though.
    Just Strings is a little confused. Those Liuto strings are for the 5 course mandocello invented and played and composed for by Raffaele Calace not for a lute. You may be correct, Tim, that the top 4 string pairs would work but to be real sure I would contact Thomastik directly and see what they suggest. That Juststrings set looks like it was a custom one but we don't know what scale length they were meant for. Besides you are also paying for that C course which are probably the most expensive strings in the set. They do make a mandola set for European mandola tuned octave GDAE but that is for 45cm/17-3/4" scale. You also have to make sure that the strings are long enough for your scale length. I would contact them to see what they recommend: info@thomastik-infeld.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019111317021322535.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	189235
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

RDeane/Jim - maybe scroll way down to Margoro's response on this thread- re the liuto strings - that's where I got his response when I asked about a 23" scale.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...homastik+liuto

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)
    2018 Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia
    2020 Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin - in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    "Does TI make any strings for an octave with a 22" scale? I know they make mandola strings but haven't seen any octaves listed."

Yikes! That's expensive. I appreciate your feedback. I have since sold the octave to someone who will play it more than I will.

7. The following members say thank you to Rdeane for this post: