Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this how it starts?

Default Re: Is this how it starts?

I feel so lucky!

Congrats on having such a great Strad-O-Lin. They have a great sound. Yours is fantastic. I agree with Jake as to the time period. The valve cover tuners seem to have been popular in '40 and '41. Regal used them on their top of the line guitar.

May you enjoy playing it for many years. (And it's great Jake put your instrument on his blog. He's got a lot of good instruments there.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

3. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Thank you again for the kind words.

I agree with Jake as to the time period. The valve cover tuners seem to have been popular in '40 and '41.
    Corroboration is good. Jake said those tuners were only made for one year.

(And it's great Jake put your instrument on his blog. He's got a lot of good instruments there.)
    A little corny, but it sort of feels like when your kid makes the honor role

5. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Sue, so glad you're getting such satisfaction out of your Strad-O-Lin. I've owned a couple of them over the last 25-30 years; the first one I bought, badly cracked and with super-alligatored finish, from an 85-year-old NYCity lady who'd kept it under her bed for decades. I paid her either $25 or $50, can't remember, and, once fixed up, it was my go-to instrument to take camping, to sing-arounds, or just to throw in the back of the car "just in case there's some music." I performed with it, recorded with it, and finally traded it in -- on a nicer Strad-O-Lin!

Strad-O-Lins with their mysterious origin and "knockabout" work-person-ship, have been the Ugly Ducklings of the mandolin world for a long time. People familiar with 20th-century mandolins have long known that they're "hidden gems," sounding much better than they look, survivors from a time when US companies produced excellent entry-and-intermediate-level instruments that were affordable and very playable.

I have a number of instruments by Lyon & Healy, Regal, Oscar Schmidt et. al. that were built for the general market, not fancy at all, just decently constructed from good materials, with very serviceable designs and excellent sound. I wish that capability still existed in the US, and that we didn't have to rely on imported instruments to fill the lower rungs of the market "ladder." I hope you have found a relic of that era of American instrument production, that will stay with you for a long time.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

These are such great instruments, congrats! I have a very similar one (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Serial-Number). I think its a laminate back and sides with solid top but I don't care, it has such rich low end and nice volume. mine has a couple cracks I tried to have repaired but they came unglued. Probably need to take the top off to really fix them. Decided they're just part of the character of the mandolin and am leaving them. Enjoy yours!!

I saw yours, jaybp30. It's probably the closest one of all the pictures I looked at.

I have a number of instruments by Lyon & Healy, Regal, Oscar Schmidt et. al. that were built for the general market, not fancy at all, just decently constructed from good materials, with very serviceable designs and excellent sound. I wish that capability still existed in the US, and that we didn't have to rely on imported instruments to fill the lower rungs of the market "ladder." I hope you have found a relic of that era of American instrument production, that will stay with you for a long time.
    Beyond perhaps a smidgin of patriotism or nostalgia or the like, this is a big reason I started thinking about older American instruments in the first place. I think about how much tweaking it took to get my Korean Kentucky playing reasonably, and how well the Strad-O-Lin has held up to the tests of time, and how much better it sounds. Both instruments built for the masses.

Sue

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

Congratulations on such a great find, Sue! Really nice looking.

13. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

Another holiday, another mandolin. Suddenly I find myself with the beginnings of a herd

I hope the Stradolin doesn't get jealous, but I have a new Morris flat top mandolin (maybe you saw it in the Classifieds) coming my way from Oregon in the morning. My thought is I will just have to spend twice as much time playing so that both get the attention they deserve.

I haven't fully discussed it with my husband yet, but I have in mind what I will say when it comes up. "It's a much more affordable addiction than airplanes." (I did quite a bit of flying a number of years ago)

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    ..."It's a much more affordable addiction than airplanes." (I did quite a bit of flying a number of years ago)...
    Yeah, I get that: you think you only need one airplane, then you want a "beater" Piper Cub to take camping, then you think you want something different and larger -- maybe a twin-engine -- then you hear a Lloyd Lear Jet at a fly-in somewhere, and you need that, so you trade in the Beechcraft and a couple million buxx –– and where do you store them all? And you see a pre-war Stinson on eBay; needs restoration, but it's a real historic gem, so you bid sorta hoping someone will overbid you, but no one does (you're not to blame, it was late at night and you'd had a couple glasses of wine)...

Pretty soon you're in marriage counseling and personal bankruptcy. Stick to mandolins; they all fit in one room (well, two rooms if you count the closet).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

True, but sometimes I still think about the Stinson I didn't buy. (I had a Piper Cherokee 180)

Then there were floatplanes, and IFR equipped travellers.....

.... Yeah, better to stick to mandolins
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Sep-07-2020 at 3:31pm. Reason: another idea

18. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Way to go Sue, a new Morris in addition to the old Stradolin! So, I guess it is time to modify the title of this thread from a question 'Is this how it starts?' to a statement 'This is how it starts'

Enjoy!

Rob

20. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Another holiday, another mandolin. Suddenly I find myself with the beginnings of a herd
    Sue, are you familiar with the resonator mandolin?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

22. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Here it is, Morris #450 just built last month! So lovely, but in a way that is totally different from the Strad-O-Lin. I like that it is mostly made of wood that Mr. Morris got fairly locally: cedar and silver maple from Oregon, black walnut from Washington. Built just a few hours from where my daughter lives, and by a guy with the same first name as my late Dad and my brother. And the matching fingerboard and bridge are very cool.

Is it possible to be in love with two mandolins at the same time? These are so different, like night and day. The Strad-O-Lin is like a warm summer afternoon, and the Morris is like late on a moonlit night. (A little corny, but hey.)

I feel lucky to have two such wonderful instruments!

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_134708.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	739.5 KB 
ID:	188563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_134453.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	188564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_134502.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	682.2 KB 
ID:	188567  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_134422.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	188565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_134442.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	188566  

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

That does look good. Congratulations!

26. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

Congrats! The figuring on the fingerboard and bridge is stunning!

Rob

28. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I feel lucky to have two such wonderful instruments!
    Sue, now that you have reached your third mandolin, it is probably the appropriate time to warn you that one's fifth mandolin typically costs as much as the previous four put together.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Sue, now that you have reached your third mandolin, it is probably the appropriate time to warn you that one's fifth mandolin typically costs as much as the previous four put together.
    I can see from your list that you know what you're talking about!

Congrats on the Morris. That's a very pretty mandolin. And am betting it sounds good. Like you say, different than a Strad-O-Lin. They should compliment each other quite well.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

33. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Congrats on the Morris. That's a very pretty mandolin. And am betting it sounds good. Like you say, different than a Strad-O-Lin. They should compliment each other quite well.
    It does sound very nice. And very easy to play. The action is amazing.

I only wish I could play it for you without embarrassing myself. Maybe pretty soon.

"Is this how it starts?"

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see a succinct answer to the original question. The answer is, "Yes!" :-)

Congrats! The Strad-O-Lin is especially cool.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Sue, The center stripe of the neck is (more than likely) Brazilian Rosewood, as are the fretboard and bridge. Brazilian Rosewood was just another available wood in the 40's. Asymmetrical fretboard extensions were used on the better Stradolins so I would get a second opinion to see if the back is solid of laminated.

How do you like the raised fretboard extension?

38. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    Sue, The center stripe of the neck is (more than likely) Brazilian Rosewood, as are the fretboard and bridge. Brazilian Rosewood was just another available wood in the 40's. Asymmetrical fretboard extensions were used on the better Stradolins so I would get a second opinion to see if the back is solid of laminated.

How do you like the raised fretboard extension?
    Have you ever seen the stairstep before?

Here's how much I like the Stradolin - if I had to pare my belongings down to what fits in my car, this mandolin would make the cut.
    I'm not sophisticated enough to know what the raised fretboard extension does for the sound, but I do know it looks wicked cool and the mandolin sounds excellent to my ear. It has a good amount of volume and the sound feels full and complete. I like the vibes, visual and aural.

I like the Morris, too. It looks and sounds really different, with notes that go on and blend together. Right now I alternate which one I play. When I get better and have a bigger repertoire, I will probably choose a mandolin to play according to what best suits the music.

Sue

40. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

When I get better and have a bigger repertoire, I will probably choose a mandolin to play according to what best suits the music.
    Yep, that's how it starts alright.

A different mandolin for each style of music. And then, for each style, a practice mandolin, a beater gigging mandolin, a fancy-shmancy concert mandolin, maybe another mandolin that records acoustically better than the live ones that have pickups...
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

42. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Sue Rieter;1778070]So I have a new mando in my life, a craiglist Strad-O-Lin, advertised as 50's but Mike E says it could be older. I think it's solid wood, at least the top, and even though the action is about the same height as my Kentucky, it plays easier and is really loud. I REALLY like the way it looks. The color is great, the matching pickguard and tailpiece cover are really cool, and it has a cool line down the middle of the back of the neck that I like. The guy selling it was the son of the owner, it was from his estate. Armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous (thanks, Cafe!), I negotiated him down a fair amount. I paid $275.

Hi Sue: I started like you from a charango to an older A Kentucky ... then a Flatiron..... and now...many years later with MAS .. I have 6 mandos plus many more instruments..... Also, I had one exactly like yours (see photo link) ...great mando until it was stolen... Anyway, the neck of these Stradolins is chunkier than any of the more recent mandos.... so I suppose it should survive some abuse resting in storage for long time.... More trouble is if that place was affected by humidity and temperature changes.... then you might be in trouble.... Anyway, great acquisition... https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...chmentid=51109
    Last edited by lucho; Oct-13-2020 at 11:03am.

44. The following members say thank you to lucho for this post: