Thread: Distressed MD-315

Default Distressed MD-315

I saw an ad in MC classified for a used Eastman MD-315. Seller said it was in rough cosmetic but fine structural shape. Seller took my offer and threw in a Lafferty hardshell and armrest. I got the mandolin a few days later. Heavy scratches on top but no cracks or issues. Moderate wear elsewhere. Kind of like the Big Mon had taken on tour with him for a month or two. But fine with me. It plays great and sounds good. Really kind of classic, like my plain but classic 1920 Gibson A. I think the 300 series Eastmans are a great value, used ones are even better, and shredded better still.

Default Re: Distressed MD-315

Nice!

Happy shredding!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

A simple Eastman is appropriate for a musician whose uses mandolin as a second or third instrument.

I wonder if it was the one I sold recently. Is the neck sanded and refinished?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Photos Please. Any time some one posts these "teaser" threads, photos are helpful.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I don't think it was yours, Chris. It came from Texas. Neck looks original. By the way, I don't do photos on instruments costing less than $500. Actually, I don't do photos period.

That's funny, because I sold mine to a guy in Texas, but you're probably right that it's not the same one. You couldn't mistake the work I did on the neck. Also, no big scratches.

If you haven't, put some 11.5-41 strings on there. Makes a huge difference.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    I don't think it was yours, Chris. It came from Texas. Neck looks original. By the way, I don't do photos on instruments costing less than $500. Actually, I don't do photos period.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Chris, I think I remember yours in classified. Do you live in Yellow Springs? My son lives down the road near Stevenson covered bridge. I get up there every now and again when we're not having a pandemic. I could use someone to jam with.

10. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

Yes, I do. Drop me a line the next time you’re gonna be in the area.

By the way, I don't do photos on instruments costing less than $500. Actually, I don't do photos period.
    Which?

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Both

Set the mandolin up this morning. Replaced strings with set set of 74s. Filed the nut slots to my liking. Removed the arm rest. I don't like arm rests on anything, including guitars and banjos. Used a furniture touch up pin to minimize some of the distressing.

Pretty good instrument. Focused, articulate tone contrasts nicely with the sweet warmth of my Gibby A. That's what I wanted.

15. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

Congrats on the new/used mando!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Those MD315s are an awesome value. You have to spend a lot to get much of an upgrade.

18. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

And this distressed MD-315 cost a lot less! I was willing to pay $500 for a used 315. But I got if for much less including a hardshell.

I've found that "lesser" Eastmans generally perform as well as the more expensive models. I've got a MDA-815 mandola which features fancier woods, appointments, and finish, but playability and sound quality are similar. Same situation as old Gibson. My 1920 Gibson A sounds as good and plays better than my buddy's A-4.

Chris, any good old time, Americana, jam scene around Yellow Springs/Xenia?

I’m not sure yet, just moved back here last summer, and I only got back into playing mandolin about a month ago. I play with a couple guys from Dayton pretty regularly, and you’d be welcome anytime we’re jamming at my house. There are always people hanging out near the coffee shop on Dayton St with acoustic instruments, too. It’s a little looser on what they play, but still fun.

You need to come up the next time there’s a Porchfest. It’s a lot of fun, and I’m sure we’ll be playing.

By the way, I don't do photos on instruments costing less than $500. Actually, I don't do photos period.
    Kinda like a guy I once worked for. We sold guitars at all the vintage guitar shows, but he wouldn't bring an amp. His reasoning, "somebody might want to play one!" He continued, "strats sound like strats, les pauls sound like les pauls, everybody knows that.............."

ah come on George, a bunch of us got primed with your description, we are all family round here, show us some pics of it. would be neat to see it.

show you a picture of a used Gibson AE LG2 i'm fixing up as a graduation gift for a girl.

had a few issues but sounded excellent. all issues fixed now.

putting a NativeSons strap(awesome straps), she floats her guitar at times and this thing will get strap locks also. picked the copper Siren design, its way nicer in person, glows a copper orange, really suits the whole vibe of this guitar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20200616_014219_resized.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	187085

Name:	thumbnail_20200616_015703_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	187086

Name:	thumbnail_20200622_005448_resized.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	187087

Name:	thumbnail_20200621_230904_resized.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	187088

Name:	thumbnail_20200622_005420_resized.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	187089

Name:	thumbnail_20200625_013624_resized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	187090

Name:	thumbnail_20200625_013413_resized.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	187091
    Last edited by darylcrisp; Jul-05-2020 at 3:25am.

Nice work Daryl.

And nice pictures!
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I used to have a small acoustic guitar shop. I refused to have an amp in the shop, because I feared some punk rock skateboarding teenager might come in and want to plug it in. One time a red lectric guitar and amp showed up as a trade. Sure nuff, some teen showed up and wanted to shred on it. I took the stuff home gave it to my teenage daughter, with the condition that she not play it when I was at home. I forgot about when I was 15 and had a 63 Strat.

Another thing about the Eastman. When I got it the previous owner had three rawhide strips entwined amongst the strings, two behind the bridge and one up from the nut. I left them there after the string change. Today I decided to hear what removing them would do. What a change. Much richer and full of overtones. Guess I'm too used to my A

I used to have a small acoustic guitar shop. I refused to have an amp in the shop, because I feared some punk rock skateboarding teenager might come in and want to plug it in. One time a red lectric guitar and amp showed up as a trade. Sure nuff, some teen showed up and wanted to shred on it.
    Sounds a lot like Guitar Center! FWIW, I was killing some time recently at the local GC and talking to one of the managers, a nice young man in his early 30's. Really just making small talk and then I happened to say, "how do you stand ALL those kids playing ALL those amps, ALL at the same time? It would drive me nuts." He replied, "I was one of those kids............"