Thread: Washburn Americana M3SWE

Default Washburn Americana M3SWE

Has anyone with some experience played a Washburn Americana M3SWE? I know Sweetwater isn't Mandolin Mecca, but that's the only place where I've seen reviews, yet they're all from guitar players. Yes, I'm a transitioning guitarist, but I want to know if it's a decent mandolin. Looking for an electric in that price range without having to wait months for someone to install a PU in an MD305 or something similar.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Washburn Americana M3SWE

$849.00 ! Coming from a shop that isn't likely to do a set-up on a mandolin with less than stellar reputation! The cost of a set-up by a luthier is likely cost between $35 and $125.00 depending upon what it needs sounds costly. Then when you want to upgrade you will have a mandolin that will not easily be resold.
    Cruise the classifieds here on the Cafe looking for something used that will take your dollar a lot further. If you get an A style with F holes your dollar will get you much more mandolin for the money. (A and F style mandolins have no tonal difference for equal mandolins)
    I have bought and sold several mandolins via these classifieds with no disappointments. I always buy or sell with a 48 hour trial period with the buyer paying postage both ways if not satisfied.
    I am sorry no one gave me this information on my first two mandolins.
    Just my humble opinion!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Dave Sheets

Poke around this site and do a bit of reading, there are a lot of good choices for $850 or less, the topic gets discussed here pretty regularly. Pickup installation in a mandolin is a pretty straightforward job, if you order it from a specialty shop they can probably add one before it ships without too much delay. Ordering used from a reputable shop is pretty safe and you can get a better instrument for the same money if you don't mind play-wear.
    Last edited by Dave Sheets; Jul-01-2020 at 5:01pm. Reason: typoe
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

I had one a while back, and while it is a decent starter mando, I even did a some "shows" with it, for 850 I think you can get much better quality used mandolin for that or less. Unfortunately finding one you can try before you buy might be challenging.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

if you have a Sam Ash guitar store by you they should have one hanging on the wall out of tune.

I knew it wouldn't get a ton of love here, but it's tough to try out stuff when you have very few stores to choose from and only online references. I check the classifieds here (which would still be an online purchase), but I'm a bit wary of buying from an individual online and not a reputable retailer. Also, I see some that might be appealing but then the ad says "no setup" so I have to figure there's a reason why a good shop wouldn't offer it with one. Or if it's a great deal and it's been listed in a store for years there has to be some reason why no one has bit at it yet. And to boot, I have Washburn archtop guitar that I quite like.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woyvel View Post
    I knew it wouldn't get a ton of love here, but it's tough to try out stuff when you have very few stores to choose from and only online references. I check the classifieds here (which would still be an online purchase), but I'm a bit wary of buying from an individual online and not a reputable retailer. Also, I see some that might be appealing but then the ad says "no setup" so I have to figure there's a reason why a good shop wouldn't offer it with one. Or if it's a great deal and it's been listed in a store for years there has to be some reason why no one has bit at it yet. And to boot, I have Washburn archtop guitar that I quite like.
    Pretty good group of people here and the Cafe does a good job of keeping the bad guys out. With a 48 hour trial you have nothing to lose except postage. I have never had a problem and gotten mandolins in the condition as described by the seller. I have sold a few here and bought at least 7 or 8 from these classifieds. In many cases you can see their recorded number of mandolins traded here. If they were disreputable, word would be out and they wouldn't be back.
    Even good retailers will not perform set-ups on some entry level mandolins because they typically require too much work or they need more than a set-up to ake them playable.
    Kentucky KM-950

8. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Woyvel 

There are three dealers listing new Eastman 605s with K&K pickup installed in the classifieds right now at $935, set up and ready to go. I would urge you to go in that direction if you can afford the extra $85.

Also, sometimes a good instrument just sits in a store despite being good. One of the best mandolins I've ever played had been in the store so long the owner offered it to me for almost $4,000 less than the sticker. (I still couldn't afford it.)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    There are three dealers listing new Eastman 605s with K&K pickup installed in the classifieds right now at $935, set up and ready to go. I would urge you to go in that direction if you can afford the extra $85.
    This would be a mandolin that if you were to decide that mandolin was not for you or if you wanted to upgrade you could resell in these classifieds for somewhere near 70 to 75% of your investment.
    If you were to decide to sell your M3SWE you may get 25% of your investment returned selling it through another venue such as Craigs List. I learned through experience that certain instruments offered for sale here in the classifieds attract no interest. I believe the M3SWE may fall into that category.
    Kentucky KM-950

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Washburn instruments get no love in this forum. I play one that I much prefer to the Eastman 315 I owned. For me, it was the feel of the neck that made the difference. Both are import products and overbuilt IMO in comparison to the better instruments.

That said, you’ve gotten good advice here - there’s an excellent chance you’d be better served by doing some research and buying used here in the Classifieds, skipping the enthusiasm for Eastman & trying a Morris or similar.

If I wanted to buy another import in that price range, I’d look at Kentucky.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff