Thread: New mandolin player

Default New mandolin player

Hello everyone! I am a new member here as well as a new mandolin player. Guitar and Bass player off and on for years. I have been playing the mandolin for about 2 weeks now. I bought an Ibanez M22 F style for my first mandolin because I have always had great experiences with all of my Ibanez purchases over the years. I was slightly disappointed with this one however. I have the setup guide from Rob Meldrum and will be setting it up once I get the tools. The string height is too high, the bridge has areas of no contact with the top surface and the nut needs filed. I have confidence I can do all this however I am worried about the nut.

It is plastic so can i file it down or is it hollow? Should I replace the nut or leave it be?

After looking at other mandolins and reading reviews I think I could've gotten a better quality build with The Loar for the same price. Other than that though, I can't seem to put the darn thing down. I cant seem to play it enough and its causing me to run a little late running out the door for work in the morning.

Default Re: New mandolin player

Welcome to the cafe. As you have already indicated that you know, the cafe is a great resource for mandolin information and a great family for support.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I’d try filing the nut. Worst case, you get a new one.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Make sure that each morning as you open the car door to go to work you check both hands.
    -don’t ever take your mandolin with you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Dave Sheets

Get a set of nut files and slowly work on the nut. They are typically meant to be adjusted, so I won't worry about it being hollow. Once you get the hang of adjusting nut heights, you can improve many of your instruments with a bit of care. Really worth the time and effort.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Welcome and glad you found the Cafe. I continuously find it to be a learning tool that never stops rewarding me.
    Watch the Cafe classifieds and you will find many reasonably priced used mandolins that will be an improvement.
    I have bought and sold several mandolins this way with no disappointments. I always sell or buy with a 48 hour return policy with the buyer paying postage both ways if not satisfied.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

9. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

So, my first mandolin was a used Washburn and the sound was about what you'd expect. But the previous owner had either done it himself or had someone else set the instrument up and, trust me, it made all the difference.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Blog Entries

Welcome!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'll post pictures of before and after once I'm done following the setup guide. Though with this upcoming weekend being the 4th, it might be a while.

Welcome to the Cafe!
    Here’s a songbook for ukulele (!)

https://ozbcoz.com/songbooks/

My advice? Learn the key of C then D and G major off by heart, forwards, backwards, up in thirds and back down, inside out etc.
    A LOT of ukulele songs are in C major. Use this book to learn how to improvise melodies in these keys. Hum or sing at the same time.

This will make you very happy!

Glad to have you join us. Enjoy your journey...
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Blog Entries

Welcome to the MADNESS! I would replace the plastic nut with a bone nut! You can get them already done from STEW-MAC, and with a properly fit bridge it'll play and sound better for you. You can always upgrade your instrument as you get better and be like the rest of us nut cases and chase that sought after tone you want in a mandolin-it can get expensive-LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Welcome to the MADNESS! I would replace the plastic nut with a bone nut! You can get them already done from STEW-MAC, and with a properly fit bridge it'll play and sound better for you. You can always upgrade your instrument as you get better and be like the rest of us nut cases and chase that sought after tone you want in a mandolin-it can get expensive-LoL!
    William, yes I have been looking at them. I will probably replace it during my next string changing. I completed the set up and after checking the string height at the first fret, the nut slots are pretty close to perfect.

A few before and after shots.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...78#post1778978

Blog Entries

Nice, you did a mighty fine job! I bet she sings a whole lot better for ya now.

18. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: