Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrid electric

Default Re: Hybrid electric

I shouldn't worry too much about the neck yet, see what it's like when in action. And I imagine at our level of sophistication you could do a certain amount of correction on the frets, even if they do end up a bit thin. If the worst comes to the worst you could take the frets off, sand flat and replace frets, which would bring you the adventure of installing frets which I have got to face soon...

Because you've got a straight headstock I'm not sure the lack of volute is as big a deal as it would be if it were angled. Just don't drop it head first onto a concrete floor...

2. The following members say thank you to JimCh for this post:

keme 

Strung it up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200710_153338.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	187218
    Tuned to mandolin pitch.

Seems to hold fairly well. No signs of material failure yet.

Bridge too low and nut too high, so it's not playable at the moment. Probably needs a fret job as well.

I will leave it for now and see how it holds up before I proceed to setting up and do the electronics.

Fixed bridge pieces and filed down the nut to reasonable action. Playable, and acoustically it sounds like expected.

I'm happy. Now for the electronics. Never got around to digging out that soldering pen. New tips and fresh solder ready. Need a small JFET or three. Other components all sorted out.

Downside: the first (E side) A string slips out of the nut slot. String tree required anyway, but now for the usual reason, to put sufficient down pressure on the string over the nut.

Cannibalized the Stratocaster (which I rarely play, and which doesn't really need that upper tree piece anyway). I can buy a replacement for the strat to fill that hole in the head the next time I pass by a music store.

Or not.

Intonation is not quite right. Nut slots are not perfectly even, and I believe the first fret is too wide from the nut. A rough measure indicates that I need to trim down the fretboard by almost one mm (or around 1/32"). I will need a new nut support then, or perhaps make a new nut from a proper nut blank. The one I have is half of a guitar bridge blank. The other half appropriately went in the bridge pieces.

If I make a new nut and file the slots with more care, maybe the string tree is not necessary. Anyway, it doesn't look too bad. I say it is required. May fit another one for the D course, to even things out visually, if nothing else.

Neck is playable up to 7th or 8th fret, where buzz starts to be noticeable. Visible ridge formed by frets 14-16. Fret job imminent.
    Last edited by keme; Jul-12-2020 at 9:28am.

Fretboard masked off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200713_002514.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	187277
    Ready for the file.

Trimming the end. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200713_010307(0).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	187278
    Hacksaw on fretboard. Scary moment.
    Did I take too much?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200713_011146.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	187279
    And those nut blanks were not blanks (pardon the pun). I opened the bag and, lo and behold: they are precut for guitar. The cuts are only guide slots, not very deep, so with any luck I can grind them down to blanks and still have sufficient material to work with.