Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arm rest. Y or N?

Default Re: Arm rest. Y or N?

No arm rest, no pickguard, no toneguard.

2. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Buck 

Blog Entries

I use 'em. Just for comfort and style. Adds a little bling. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_E5365.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	186876
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I use armrests to keep my arm off the sharp edge of the instrument and believe they alleviated tingling/numbness from the elbow down on my right arm.
    Russ Jordan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

If you decide to use an arm rest, be sure to scrape off the imitation cork from the bracket and replace it with a thin strip of leather in order to protect the finish.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

7. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Have an armrest inbound from Northfield. Thanks for the input!
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by jim19 View Post
    I'm considering an armrest for my 1919 Gibson A. Will it (or will some armrests in particular) fit in the original Gibson case?
    I've never had anyone say the armrest would not work with a case. I had a very tight fitting case, Superior fiberglass, no problem. It was too tight for the pickguard!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_123945.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	186947

10. The following members say thank you to Doug Edwards for this post:

Yes

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards View Post
    I've never had anyone say the armrest would not work with a case. I had a very tight fitting case, Superior fiberglass, no problem. It was too tight for the pickguard!
    Same for mine, and it looks to me like the Northfield armrests (like the Cumberland Acoustic ones) are probably much thinner than both mine and the McClung that Doug makes.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Helps me keep my hand away from the bridge.

14. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

You might consider an alternative to the very fine McClung armrests, and you might consider Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic.

I like them because they are slimmer, sleeker and don't take up a lot of room on my mando's top. Yet still serve the same function.

Name:	Armresttrio-small.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	186966

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/armrests/
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I used one for a while, but it just seemed to crease my forearm in a slightly different spot than than the edge of the mandolin did. Not really an improvement. I finally nixed it because the clamp was causing some finish damage (which my forearm never has). YMMV
    Mitch Russell

I love them. Never had one till I bought the Collings MT that came with one, now I have one on all of my mandolins. Keeps the edge of the mandolin from cutting into my arm, so it's a comfort thing, not positioning or finish protection. However, it probably helps with resonation of the top by keeping my arm off it, but my reason is comfort. Everything else is gravy!

18. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Blog Entries

Yup, same here. Armrests on both of my F-style mandolins, in addition to pickguards and ToneGards. Keep my body parts from deadening the instrument. To my ears it works.

And I do like that these instruments are pretty protected too. Doesn't keep them in like-new shape, but it helps.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

20. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

I only put one on my old Flatiron a year or so ago, after I already had cracks and fogging showing up in the finish. Turns out I was damping the top all those years and now I have a tiny bit more volume, as well. Only took a week to get used to it. I'm way past the point where resale value is important to me after all the money I've put into improvements, but this was one of the cheapest and easiest I've ever done.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Another sharp edge binding reason here , rounded edge Mix A5 no problem ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Name:	arm_rest.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	187022

Very happy with my McClung arm rest. I was getting pinched nerves from the sharp edge and tingling fingers - the arm rest put a stop to that. I may get one for a semi-hollow body electric bass too since it also has a bit of an edge on it.
    "Flow, river flow. Let your waters wash down, take me from this road, to some other town." - Roger McGuinn

I have bought or made arm rests for every banjo, mando family instrument and guitar I have except for my new HD-28. I find a nice smooth arm rest is much more comfortable than the instrument's edge. It also helps to keep my arm from dampening the soundboard.

Sound/tone is first. Playability second. Looks is far down the line, for me.

25. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Now that the summer outdoor season is upon us, I bought a pair of those wrist sweat bands that basketball players use. I got the idea after a sweaty, 2-hour farmers market gig last summer, and just today remembered to buy a pair. Where I live, congregate housing and farmers markets are still doing gigs, outdoors. They require social distancing and some people wear masks.

At $5.99 a pair the wrist bands are cheaper than a wooden arm rest. The right arm band is positioned to sit on the edge of the mandolin to protect it from the sweaty arm.

27. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

Blog Entries

I treat arm rests like pick guards. If the original instrument as designed has one, I keep it on. If it doesn't, I don't add one.

Some of the arm rests are such beautiful pieces of art I worry about wear and tear on their surface.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Some of the arm rests are such beautiful pieces of art I worry about wear and tear on their surface.

Name:	20191125_103124.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1,016.7 KB 
ID:	187330
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

30. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

well, when I opened this thread I was going to reply, "no". I am a minimalist in most everything I do or own. I don't like any "add on". I am a cyclist (bicycle) and I have a few friends who have every electronic gadget that comes out. the handlebars are all cluttered and imo, they miss the beauty of the ride because they are always pushing this or that or checking this or that. I just ride-don't care how fast or how far I've went-my body tells me all I need to know.

instruments, I like bare bones as possible-typically don't even like anything thru the post bridge strings-unless its outright necessary. but.......

a few months ago I was playing my banjo(clawhammer) and Tom Collins was doing this "check in" on your elbow/forearm movement. he does indepth video/discussions on this sort of thing and has always had a forearm rest on his banjo. I noticed how his forearm appeared to lever off from the rest on his banjo and how that put his picking hand in a more relaxed inward natural position. rather than how I was coming pretty much straight down in a lateral position. hummm.

I had a brand new cocobolo rest in the hardshell case(another thing I don't use) in the instrument hardshell case graveyard-er, closet. this was a Nechville and Tom Nechville has a real easy noninvasive design that attaches to some of the metal work on his banjos. put it on, and i'll be dang, it did in fact feel better and position my arm better so that my hand moved inward to picking position better. I honestly don't care for the way it looks sitting there on the top edge of my banjo, but I've long forgot about that and I do like what it does, so that's the realist section of me.

I plant my palm on my mandolin bridge, a lot. in fact I have to watch at times as i'll move forward and mute my strings. this mandolin arm rest might be something I will investigate further. don't want it for looks or finish protection, but only for improvement to my picking hand position.

humm
    d

Thanks Doug, I received the armrest from you the other day.

I decided to try one to keep my forearm sweat off the top of my mandolin. But from the playing perspective I like how it is keeping my hand mostly off the bridge. I was getting annoyed with rubbing against the sharp edges of the bridge and this seems eliminate most of that.

Jim

Another YES! here. I recently refurbished a mando I built back in the 80s and sold to a friend. Over the course of a decade or so he had worn right through the nitro on the top at the spot where his forearm crossed the edge. I made McClung style ones for two of my mandolins. What I like about them is that they make it easy to get your arm up over the top of the instrument and keep your pick centered over the sweetspot at the end of the fretboard. Also just so much more comfortable.

You do have to be careful of the finish. I put suede on the bracket surfaces for mine. Getting them tight enough that it won't slip around without marring the finish is a balancing act. Since they are my personal instruments which I don't plan on selling, the arm rests will be staying on them, and I'm not worried about the underlying finish.