Thread: Yet another Pachelbel Canon in D version

Default Yet another Pachelbel Canon in D version

I know lockdown is getting bad when Canon in D starts to seem interesting again. So I have had a shot at it with 2 mandolin parts. I originally planned more but the predominance of treble was starting to hurt my ears and I switched to quite a formal guitar arrangement backing which I hoped would add depth and pulse to the opening sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nrjGRISR1A there's no footage, just audio and a fixed picture.

Arpeggiated versions I have heard are all rising arpeggios but I have the arpeggios descending on the last note, to try and emphasise the 3rd note in each arpeggio which harmonises with the main mandolin line. I resort shortly after to strummed chords, trying to see what goes well with which melody sections.

I am a player of very modest abilities but I enjoyed the exercise. I'm not sure if it works terribly well but when the twin mandolins converge towards the end it has a certain something. Maybe it's the relief on ear from tremolo. I have to say the lesson learned was that twin tremelo needs to be synced very well or it just sounds like cats on a hot tin roof.

If anyone wants the guitar tab let me know here. I expect every mandolin player gets a free mandolin tab of this piece at birth, but if anyone needs that too let me know.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julian Morris For This Useful Post: